Defending against “Alexa, ALL lights on”

If you don't already have Home Assistant up & running and don't want to do it now, you can achieve room awareness simply with Node Red using Hubitat & Applestrudel Node Red pallets.

The post I linked is not Home Assistant specific, I think that post was just one of the original guides for this method and what I used to get it up and running over 2 years ago. But yeah your post is basically the same.

Check out the NR threads for Alexa & NR automation. @erktrek has some useful flows.

1 Like

I think it completely intercepts the request before anything else gets to process it, but to be sure I also have the Alexa groups with the dummy virtual switch just in case.

I was using the skill anyway to intercept things like "where is the first aid kit" so I just added a bunch of turn on/turn off type entries to catch deliberate or accidental unwanted requests.

At the time I set it up you could only have a limited number of Alexa routines and they could only handle one way of making the request. That seems to have changed so it's possible that this could all be done in routines now rather than using the skill blueprint. But it was easy to do the blueprint and quicker to add lots of options so I've stuck with it.

2 Likes