Default Graphing for Hubitat

Yes, webcore uses google charts html/js/css downloads (public internet)

webcore does not need a separate server on your home network, it uses HE.

2 Likes

I think what is being lost here is the complications with what goes into managing data for graphing. I personally have been responsible for managing data related to data analytics for my work place. Having the right data is only part of the equation though. On top of that potential system impacts for differently uses of databases access.

If anything graphing locally would probably be limited to current events. With that said most configurations recommend limiting events to what 11 maybe 30. What kind of graphing will that get. This isn't done simply because, but to ensure reliable fast home automation by reducing overhead.

Lets say you decide that the folks here are being to cautious and you increase the events. Well then you are deciding to take the performance hit to the hub and you automations. Who will get the grief though when something is responding the way you want it.

If HE integrated graphs and wanted to provide more then just the last few events for it then data reduction would be needed. This isn't a simple task and requires cpu to do. It is kind of a impact at a low busy time so high busy times don't suffer as much idea.

Lastly not all databases do all tasks well. HE may have leveraged a database that works well for their task with HE but not well for graphing, or for graphing it would need more resources then what the hub can provide without impacting other tasks.

Most of the time what is recommended is a Raspberry Pi. That is a $35 piece of equipment. If you dont have the rest of the pieces the kits with a case storage and such are well under $100. I created a image and posted it in a few threads that includes everything you need to get started with influxdb and graphana along with some other things. The image already has influxdb and grafana loaded you could litterally just configure the logger ap on hubitat with info from my postz and be graphing shortly.

The key here is grafana is a dashboard/grafing tool. It is designed to do that task and is one of the better innclass options for it. Influxdb is a time based event driven database as well so specifically designed for this task. I wouldn't use influx for a billing system, for time oriented grafing it is the perfect tool for the job.

2 Likes

I agree with your overall assessment that Hubitat may not be the right tool for in-depth (or perhaps even basic) graphing functions.

But when was the last time you could purchase an RPi at that price?

It has been a little while since I have bought a Pi4, but i also refuse to pay scalpers for anything over MSRP. I wouldn't pay more, I would be more focused on watching the inventories of my normal sellers.

I get your point though, but a increase of price for this would mean other items become more viable. Simply put if i cant get a pue for 35 then a old intel Nuc, or small form factor pc becomes a reall possible option. If i could get a ultra compact x86 machine with ok ram the. Now we have the ease of using more supported x86 applications and methods over a Pi on Arm.

I would also say it looks like some things have changed with the pi 4 atmosphere recently. I just checked CanaKit's site and the have the 1gb listed at 35 and the 2 GB at 45. As i recall the 1gb was suppose to go away and the 2GB was taking its place at 35. Maybe the recent price increases have impacted these MSRP's. I still wouldn't pay scalper prices though.

Hopefully the supply chokepoint(s) will ease up enough soon that the scalpers will have no choice but to drop their prices too.

1 Like

The RPi foundation did a blog post about this towards the end of last year.

https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/supply-chain-shortages-and-our-first-ever-price-increase/

This may be a good option to replace the Raspberry pi option. It wouldn't win any processing power rewards but probably faster then a pi. It is x86 as well so you can run windows or ubuntu

Considering that includes storage and everything to run this is equivalent to getting a raspberry pi kit from canakit.

Beelink T4 Mini PC, Intel Atom Z8500(Up to 2.24GHz), 4GB DDR3 64GB eMMC Mini Computer with Win 10, Mini Desktop Computer Support 4K HD/ 2.4G/5G WiFi/BT4.0/Gigabit Ethernet/HDMI&DP Dual Display Output https://a.co/d/9vQh5A1

1 Like

Tell you what. I have 2 raspberry pi 4GB i can part with to help out folks. I have 4 total. And two just kind of sit around. They are both in flirc cases so completely silent and i can preload a 32GB Micro SD card with the image i built for doing Grafana with Influxdb. 4 gb boards go for 55 and the flirc cases go for 16. I will just include the SD card and it being imaged. So that is $71 MSRP. Lets make it a even 80 with shipping. All you would need to provide is a resonable usb c power supply.

If anyone is interested please DM me.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.