Decomission old hubs after C8 migration

I just migrated two C5 hubs over to the C8 and want to wipe the old hubs.

My question is, can I safely power up the old hubs while the new hubs are running?

From my understanding the old hubs are a duplicate of the new hubs so I don't want to cause mesh problems. Can I use the physical reset button to factory default them without bringing the old hub up to wipe the data?

The physical button is a networking reset, so it won't help you. Just bring it online, reset the radios from Settings > Z-Wave Details and Settings > Zigbee Details, then do a soft reset from Settings > Diagnostic Tool. If you plan to use Zigbee on that hub in the same location as your new hub (within mesh range), it must be used on a different channel. See the notes at the end of this document for more: How to Migrate to a New Hub | Hubitat Documentation

1 Like

Good morning all,

I migrated to C-7 hubs to C-8. Afterwards I energized the old C-7 hubs and did a soft reset. Having the same concern as you, I wrapped the C-7 hubs with aluminum foil to help ensure the radios were blocked.

All went fine.

I couldn't stomach the though of the new hubs having Z-Wave or Mesh issues :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think the best way to wipe the old hub after migration, is to power down the C8 then power up the previous hub and reset both radios and do a soft reset. This way both hubs are never powered up at the same time.

3 Likes

I'm in the same boat. I was thinking about bringing my old hub to work and reset it there..

1 Like

For what it’s worth , I powered up my old hub while the C8 was running. I reset the radios and did the soft reset without wrapping in foil, or powering down the C8 without any kind of ceremonial / sacrificial dances, no issues at all.

4 Likes

Also, all local files are preserved and must be manually deleted one by one unless you want to keep them.

+1 - I did the same on my two C-7s.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.