Debugging Zwave

Can you post a copy of your z-wave details page in it's entirety?

1 Like

You have a few ghosts or incomplete pairings. 0x15, 0x19, 0x39, These will hinder your mesh and slow things down. They should be removed.

Also six devices paired with Security = S0 which should be avoided if at all possible.

1 Like

This too!

The S0 devices are all locks

2 Likes

S2 would be preferable (and probably more secure) if the locks support it.

I've tried to remove these several times and they won't go away. Any tips?

Regarding security - I'm not in an environment where I'm really concerned with someone spoofing zwave. I read that the higher security modes don't work as well and so I opted to not use them until I at least got all my other issues resolved.

The traditional last ditch solution is to acquire a ZWave USB stick and the free (although convoluted to download) SiLabs PC Controller software. Using that, you join the ZWave USB stick to your Hubitat as a Secondary Controller and that makes all the Mesh available to the PC Controller. It "speaks" at a much lower level and you can clean up the ZWave radio DB in a few steps.

1 Like

Usually the device after the ghost is the one that created it. (Check the type) Power down that device completely. If the device that created the ghost is powered up and still pingable but the hub, it won't remove the ghost. Shutdown the hub from the settings menu then unplug power to the hub (at the wall not the hub) for 5 mins and power back up. Attempt to remove ghost. If you can't get a z-wave stick. The only devices that needs security are locks and garage door stuff. Everything else should have no security.

My understanding is that S0 is the most inefficient of the Z-Wave security protocols. S0 is not the same thing as No Security - although one would think it would be equivalent. In terms of your network, S2 would be preferable if your (lock) devices support it.

1 Like

no dice on this method unfortunately. I cut power to the house, brought the hub up on a UPS and tried to remove the ghost devices. They don't appear to be battery powered ghosts so not sure why they aren't removed.

1 Like

At this point you will need a z-wave stick to remove

1 Like

Update: got a zwave stick and remove the failed devices. They don't show up in simplicity lab but 2 of the 3 still show up in hubitat. Any idea why that is and how to remove those?

If they are still visible in the Settings > Z Wave Details page then they're still present. But if you can't see them there but they are still visible in 'Devices' - they can just be deleted from there.

They're on Z Wave Details page yes. However, they are not listed on the Z Wave PC Controller page anymore - I failed them and removed them successfully while power to the house was shut off.

How could they be present on one hub but not the other?

Make sure you're comparing the ID in Studio to the DEC in Hubitat, NOT the HEX... so in the case of the pic below, don't look for 18, look for 24 in SS

2 Likes

lol....now to find the random two devices I just nuked. Thanks, that was my error.

2 Likes

Check to see what rules are broken. Should be easy to track down.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.