Dead Z-Stick

One of my first attempts at home automation a couple of year ago included the purchase of a Aeotec Z-stick. This week I received a Aeotec Multisensor 6 and being unenthused with the light sensitivity of it, looked thought the firmware updates and thought I might try and see if they improved the lower end lux readings. So I rummaged around in my storage room (an adventure within itself) and found the bugger. I plugged it into and USB port on one of the laptops and it began to do the 3 color flash. Great! I pulled it out and attempted to put it in pairing mode and it quickly cut off. OK, so the battery needs charging. So I put it back into the USB port and it started flashing again. When I when to try it later, no 3-color flashing. No flashing at all. So I removed it and the button did nada. I shot off a support request to Aeotec and received the reply:

"This sounds like the unit might have stopped working." ... and to try another port. I pulled it apart and could find a match for the 3.7v 0.37a battery online. (I didn't waste a whole lot of time.) So I just ordered another one.

If you got this far into the post and have any interest in trying to revive this beastie, the first person to say they want it (here in thread) can have it. After posting here, just private message me a mailing address and I'll send it out USPS next week.

One other thing, the tech said this about the lux values:

"As for the Multisensor 6 lux values, the sensor is not accurate as it does not have a fresnel lens to help focus light into its sensor. It requires more directional lighting into one of the holes on the front of the sensor (non-LED one) to capture more lighting."

That's a big change from their marketing blurb:

Automated lighting is only as smart as the system that powers it. With MultiSensor 6’s real-time, digital light sensor measuring the level of light in a room, your home control system will be able to intelligently maintain its ambiance. From opening and closing curtains, to setting lights to be the perfect level be it day or night, MultiSensor 6 is the smarts behind smart lighting.

2 Sengled bulbs in a ceiling fixture with a white and partially clear diffuser set at 100% white provides a reading of 4 lux on the Aeon Multi 6. Cool white is 3 lux. Warm white is 1-2 lux. This is in a small bedroom with the light on the ceiling 9 feet directly in front of the sensor and ~5 feet up.

Off to look at other light sensors!

I wonder if a usb power bank would power up your old Aeotec Z-stick and make it re-usable ?? :blush:

1 Like

My wild guess is that it's a bad battery. The Z-stick sat unused for well over a year and only failed when it was being charged in a PC USB port. I though about buying a 2 AA battery holder and hooking it up to see if I could revive it. But I am impatient/lazy and just ordered a replacement.

I though if someone wanted to play with a Z-stick but didn't want to buy one, it'd be worth the expense of a AA battery holder or they might have a suitable battery laying around. If I was to dig through my battery box, I might even have one here. It just probably would not fit inside the Z-stick plastic shell.

1 Like

Yeah it’s a nice offer you’ve made.
If I was in the US I’d take it off your hands but I’m guessing postage to Aus probably wouldn’t be worth it. :blush:

1 Like

PM me your mailing address. I'll mail it out to you after removing the battery but leaving the leads in place so it'll be easy to spot polarity. Removing the battery is to avoid any hassles with shipping from the local post office.

1 Like

Pm sent. Thx. Good thinking.

Does this mean that the Z-Stick might not work after the battery dies? That seems concerning, since I'd expect it to still work but (like most others--I'm not aware of any others that have a battery) only when powered via USB. If it totally breaks, I may need to re-think my choice of Z-Wave stick...

I can't say for sure. But if the battery is dead you can't include/exclude devices directly on the Z-stick (without it being connected to a USB port) since that is what the battery is for in the first place. All I can state is that it died while in a USB port of the PC.