Database growing?

Something definitely going on, it's a new issue to me. I just posted over in another thread, seems to be a lot of people experiencing this

The nice thing is if you do not catch it growing then you wake up in the morning to a welcome screen on HE. Quick restore without your coffee and then you go make coffee.

1 Like

LOL, thats true!

Well, I guess I should not have just ignored the warning.

I did the soft reset. I see a bunch of runtime exceptions in the logs for automations that tried to run overnight before the hub eventually crashed. All variations of the following error:

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.sql.SQLException: A problem occurred while trying to acquire a cached PreparedStatement in a background thread.

I only did the restore like 10 minutes ago and everything seems fine, but I don't really have time to test it before I leave for work.

EDIT: Looking in backup and restore and it looks like my database barely shrunk in size.

What size is it? May want to reboot and see if it shrinks it; if not try downloading a copy and doing the restore from it; and if all that doesn't work try doing a soft reset with a restore from the downloaded copy.

Hey Folks,

Mine is a steady @ 13m now, far cry from 3371m! I suspect I wasn't far from a crash like what @waterboysh had on his HE. So, I want to setup a notification, but the notification app doesn't do attributes. Would I use RM for this? What do you think would be a good value? 100m?

100m is well within the "safe" range I would guess. Think mine averaged around 120-140 under one of the releases, but now stays around 40-50 on my main hub and 10-15 on dev hub.

1 Like

How do you see the size of your database? I just realized that the screenshot I posted was the size of the backup file, which is everything BUT the database.

Seems I may written a small driver (Hub Information Driver) :sunglasses: to get routine access to that and a few other pieces of data, but you can also check the DB manually using a call to

http://yourHubIP/hub/advanced/databaseSize

2 Likes

The backup file basically is the database, though I don't believe the backup file size necessarily corresponds to the size you'd see in the UI (not sure about the endpoint mentioned above that the Hub Information Driver would also read; guessing that might be closer than me looking at my recent backup sizes or making a new one after seeing that warning in the UI, which I haven't seen lately...).

On my devHub, backup is running in the ~0.6 - 0.75m range with the database reporting 13-15m....
Main hub is a constant 3.4m with a database reporting in at 40-50m

So it's a variable compression rate (as expected with LZF compression)

1 Like

That's what I use is the

You can pull all kinds of data from that including your DB size. It's pretty cool. Thanks @thebearmay . Now I just gotta figure out the rule for a notification.

1 Like

Here is mine. Worked in testing but has not reported anything in anger yet as my DB has stayed OK.

Summary

2 Likes

Ohhhhhh, that's a nice rule. I have never used the Private Boolean before, and honestly I don't know how. I must do some reading and save that image. Thanks @bobbles

1 Like

I installed your driver. After the soft reset my DB size is 33. What could possibly have caused it to go from 33 to 2819? Is there a way to see what causes the growth?

The one explanation that I’ve heard that makes some since is that there is a flaw in the database (fix in 2.2.9.x) that causes the database not to reuse space. Issue is triggered when simultaneous writes collide in some fatal pattern.

1 Like

It's back up to 490m again after only a few days... Is there anything I can do besides doing a soft reset and restoring a backup every few days?

@gopher.ny looks like we can’t get this one to stablize…

It's up to 610m now. Guess I really should soft reset again.

Did you try this already?
http://your.hubs.ip.here/hub/cleanupDatabase

1 Like