Dashsboard

You create your "folders" or rooms in the Apps tab. You can create as many or as few as you wish. Here is a list of my rooms:

The icons turn grey when they are inactive, and yellow when active. Admittedly white on yellow isn't the best, but if that square is lit up, it is active.

I would make a few suggestions that would probably help.

• Divide up your dashboards into rooms or folders as I show above. Expose devices to each room that you want in a room. (don't put every item in every dashboard)
  • Go to the gear menu at the top of a particular dashboard, and set to 2 columns wide (see first screenshot) and maybe somewhere about 12-20 rows high. It will look more like the second screenshot below, and you will get vertical scrolling which will be more in line with what most people expect.
  • In that gear menu, go to Options tab (see 3rd screenshot) Set the column width to blank, and the height to some fixed value, maybe start with what I have shown below.
  • You can change the icon size and font size if that helps, see the first screenshot below again.

Try that, and see if it helps a bit. After that, there are more advanced settings and other options that can be explored.

2 Likes

Omg now that helps a lot.

I am going to try this tomorrow and I’ll let you know how it goes. Hope you don’t mind I may have a few follow-up questions.

Thank you @neonturbo

2 Likes

I am going to ask questions from the top down. First Question

I cant figure out how to "indent" like your Small Bathroom"

I am also not sure I am in the right place because I have no option to add a room or a folder.

Am I in the right area?

I'm not sure what you mean by "indent"... When you create a rule, it automatically "indents" by one character under it's primary rule name. Can you be more specific in what you mean? Or do you mean within a dashboard?

For rooms, you can either click on rooms, and add devices to rooms from there or click the device and add it to a room from there. Note:Rooms only shows switches and bulbs on the rooms button on the app. Use dashboards for most things instead)

All this is also covered in the video above.

Click the main Dashboard app.

dash1

Create a new Dashboard.

Name the Dashboard, select the devices you want to use, and Done. This is where you pick what room or folder you want to call your Dashboard. If you want Small Bedroom as a room/folder, then then is what you should type in for the name.

Once you are done with that, go back to your actual Dashboard, add tiles, and arrange them as you wish.

Again, that video walks through the process more completely.

I think terminology is being mixed and possibly causing some confusion but, I could be wrong.

Regarding the indentation in @neonturbo 's screen example, I believe he just hid the first part of the bedroom and therefore it looks like he indented it further than Hubitat's default.

This would be a correct statement, the Hubitat dashboard doesn't have a hierarchy. However, you can create multiple dashboards representing each room and then link them together to go from one to the other and back. Note that the Hubitat dashboard is IMHO very basic at first but does provide you with the ability to modify the underlying CSS should you need that level of customization otherwise there are other options like

webCore and many other that work on IOS

You can also get some pretty cool tips from the Show Off Your Dashboards! thread for the Hubitat dashboard.

Continue to come back with questions, Hubitat has a fantastic community and support at all levels.

1 Like

I am really getting frustrated. This seem so dang complicated

I added a dashboard - named it Kitchen -> Clicked Manually Add Tiles at this screen;

The at the add a tile screen I got No Devices Authorized.

Need to go to the Apps tab Hubitat Dashboard | Kitchen and add the devices, then go back to the Kitchen Dashboard to add tiles.

It is always much easier to do it the way I outline a couple posts up in the Apps section, and NOT from the actual dashboard first as you have to go into Apps and add the devices anyway.

But seriously, did you watch that video above? He goes through every step there. I will even add it again below in case you missed it.

4 Likes

I watched the video, didn’t really help much but I think I figured out what was tripping me upon the dashboard. I didn’t connect the dots with what you all were saying - you don’t edit the dashboards from the dashboard menu - you edit them in apps dashboards..

Thank you guys…

You can edit the dashboard buttons in the dashboard itself, but yes, you need to go to APPS>Hubitat Dashboard to expose devices to a particular dashboard. Note: Do not expose ALL devices to a particular dash. Only what you need or rendering of the dash will be incredibly slow.

2 Likes

Check!
How do I make the dashboard responsive? I use the dashboards on my Desktop, iPhone, and iPad they do not format to the device you are using. On my desktop they are perfect, 4 Buttons Wide 8 Rows but on my Cell phone I have to scroll all over the place..Not what I am used to..

leave column height and row blank. That said it may not always be accurate. Your better bet is to set up a custom dash(s) for each device. To keep your dashboard responsive, as I said, only expose those devices the dash uses. Home automation is about automation and not remote control :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did you try like I suggest above, and set a fixed height, but blank width? Reposted picture to show you what to try.

I find that setting both to blank can do weird things to scaling. But it is an option that might work for some. Setting a fixed height makes the buttons large enough to actually click for my fat fingers.

2 Likes

So i created an all device dashboard and removed the height and width values. Its okay except for my thermostat which is kinda scrunched up but usable…

thanks for the tip.

Change the thermostat or other tiles with lots of info to be double wide, double height, or both.

• Click the 3 dots on the Thermostat tile on the dashboard.
  • Refer to the circles on the right side of the screenshot. Be sure you have enough space to make the tile bigger. The blue box is where I am currently. Notice just to the right and below, the tiles are greyed out. They are not available for use. The green however are.
  • IF needed for space reasons, move tiles using the left circled option, column and row position. I am currently in column 1 and row 1. (You could move other tiles to make space also)
  • Once you have space to expand the tile, go to the middle circled option, and make the height and/or width taller (higher numbered).

In this screenshot, you can see a triple height thermostat in the left column compared to single height of the right column devices.

Thanks - Got it looking ok on my PC/iPad but it still overlapping on my phone.. I guise this is a case where I have to find what works on my smallest device and adjust accordingly?

1 Like

Yeah.... Honestly there is no one size fits all option. It's why people recommend doing a dashboard per device.

I am seeing that. - Is it possible to have a dashboard auto load based in the device?

What do you mean?