Dashboard Icon

I see a few of you use a dashboard icon that displays if it is recycling this week or general waste. How are you creating a dynamic icon like this?

Are you thinking like a truck coming down the street icon? colorized?

I was thinking a standard tile that read for which ever week it is “recycling” or “waste” as text. What would be amazing is that if on the day that tile went green or blue with symbolises which type of waste it is. Although that’s a big ask!

A rule to change a hub variable could easily control the text portion. Color may be possible but not where I can check out the options ATM.

sounds good, i've not really done much with variables, what would be the best way to have it changed in rule machine?

ah - got it. Here in my little world, (Portland, OR) I signed up for email notification from the city which posts me what cans go out (recycle, Yardwaste and /or garbage). That email arrives in the morning of the day of the event. It is also where we are informed of schedule changes due to holiday or weather...
I don't have any time this weekend but I can take a shot at some Icons next week if no one beats me to it - I'm handy with Photoshop...

@Cobra Bin Switch app and a little playing.

any idea how to change a boolean varible from true to false each week? that would be good enough to say true is green bin false is blue bin

Easiest way would be to create a rule that looks similar to:

ah brill, I've done this which should work. However thinking about it i could write this to a string to say blue bin or green bin. However i don't know how to do that or am able to find the option to update a string?

If you use a string variable you could test for = "Green Bin" --> set to "Blue Bin", else set to "Green Bin"

perfect, in rule machine i cant find the menu choice where to put this?

Conditional action, Capability Variable, Comparison Contains...

Thanks!

IF (Variable Bin Day(Green Bin) = 'Green Bin'(T) [TRUE]) THEN
Set Bin Day to 'Blue Bin'
ELSE
Set Bin Day to 'Green Bin'
END-IF

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.