Dashboard Control of Zooz ZEN32

So, thinking I have found an undocumented feature.

I have multiple Zooz ZEN32 button controllers and have made rules using Button Controller 5.1 and Button Rule 5.1. Operation of rule using physical button on ZEN32 works fine. I have also added a tile in a dashboard that presses and double presses the same button on the ZEN32 device. The dashboard button calls the button number and has the button command properly assigned as in the attached photo. When this virtual button is pressed the corresponding rule doesn't run. If I look at the event log for the button controller, it shows that it received a press, but not a value as when a physical button is pressed.

I have tried this with other styles of buttons and they operate as expected. The virtual button connects and logs the press and then the corresponding rule runs. I don't see any notes in the firmware updates in the Zooz documentation on an issue with this. Thoughts?

So you're running the commands from the device detail page? That isn't a hardware feature, and the behavior is under control of the driver (and the event subscription is under control of the app). Are you using the built-in driver and a Rule 5.1 or Burton Controller rule or similar?

1 Like

So you're running the commands from the device detail page?
That I can. I can input a button number and press the action and the rule runs.

Are you using the built-in driver and a Rule 5.1 or Burton Controller rule or similar?
Yes, Built in Zen32 driver with a button controller rule providing the action.

Check your logs for errors, the built in driver might be throwing errors.
Also, you may have better luck with the community driver, it appears to properly support those commands. [RELEASE] Zooz ZEN32 Scene Controller (community driver)

1 Like

Yup, there's an error there as well.

Thanks for the reminder on the Community driver. I haven't used that as the built in covered me for what I needed and I prefer to go that route when I can. I'll investigate that and wanted to report the issue for possible future releases.

@bcopeland @support_team
See above error on the ZEN32 built in driver when trying to push a button virtually from the dashboard.

@krzes the community driver should not get that error.

I can see where this might be useful if your button push runs rules, there is not a great way to otherwise trigger a rule from the dashboard unless you make a virtual switch or button, so might as well use the button you already have tied to it!

Seems weird that Dashboard is sending a string when this should be a Number. I suspect the built-in driver would work if that were changed and don't know if mine would, either. (I'm assuming the OP doesn't have any spaces or anything around the button number that would definitely make this a string?)

Yes the dashboard really should send a number and not a string.
I just had to push an update to my switch drivers this week for the same issue, I had the button number typed as a Number so I just removed that which fixed it, since it doesn't really matter. @bertabcd1234 in your driver you do not have a type set in the function definition so it should be fine.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.