Cutting out MyQ cloud from Garage Door control

Thx. I will check it out!

I gave up on myQ. If they are going to abandon everyone that uses home-bridge to integrate with HomeKit then we all need to just dump them all together.

This is what i did.

The red and yellow connectors go to the magnetic side of the relay.
The 2 blue ones go to the open/close circuit side of the relay.
Polarity on the red and yellow doesn't matter.

Since these are matter plugs i did all the automation in hubitat.
Virtual switch that turns off in 1 second.
Rule that watches for virtual switch to turn on. Then turn on the smart switch and turn it off instantly.(instantly turning it off is critical)
I used homekit to create a geofence automation. When someone comes home the door opens.

If the door is closed it will open.
If the door is open it will close.
If the door is in transit it will stop.
if the door is activated again after a stop it reverses direction.

In the future i will had a contact sensor to know if the door is actually closed or open.

12v DC plug
12v relay
Smart plug/switch
couple pieces of wire and some crimp on wire ends.

ZERO stats go to the door opener company. +++
No possibility of the next smart garage door opener company being sold off to myQ or becoming partners with myQ so no chances of getting shut down again. +++

NO SOLDERING. :slight_smile:

WIN WIN WIN

relay:

Power Supply:
https://a.co/d/7caBRE3

Switch/Plug
https://a.co/d/cKTCdW0

My assembled Garage door opener:

1 Like

oooor... just get the Ratgdo (or Konnected version) and simplify your life!

3 Likes

Ratigo is $45. Konnected is $75. I did the same thing for $27

Not really.

All you've done is setup door control using a relay, which in turn in controlled by some Hubitat-compatible smart plug. This is no different than what many of us did 4 or 5 years ago.

There's no mechanism to determine door position, which both RatGDO and the Konnected versions have. There's no light status/control, no obstruction status, no wireless lockout. And there's no broad compatibility with automation systems using MQTT etc. etc.

Using a Zooz Zen16/17 or a MIMOLite would have been a step closer to what the RatGDO does, because both of them permit determination of door position using a wired sensor.

2 Likes

I see your point but for me i don't need any of that. The door detects obstructions and deals with it. The lights come on when the door opens and turn off when the door closes and there are other lights that can be controlled via smart tech. I will deal with door position with a sensor on the door. So overall i have all the functionality needed and still at a lower cost.

You may have the limited functionality you need. Which is fine. My comment was directly related to your claim that your setup was equivalent to the RatGDO or the Konnected controller; which it clearly isn’t.

5 Likes

By time you add in the cost of two contact sensors, you're getting pretty close to the cost of the Ratgdo. I was using two third reality contact sensors and a ZEN17 relay to accomplish what you are proposing here. I can tell you that, with the ratgdo (you don't have to splurge for the Konnected version), I am much happier.

2 Likes

@moh, nice post, very detailed. I have a bunch or Tasmota gear as you probably know and happen to have an 8-port relay near my wall mounted GDO (it's a sprinkler controller) with two free ports. I'm thinking I might be able to pull this off with a few feet of wire and some soldering and no extra cost.

But I'm not clear on the relay side. Does the relay just go from open to closed, wait one second and open again so it acts like a momentary switch and that is all it takes, or is there more to it? Thanks for your advice on this.

Hi @garyjmilne,
Thanks for the kind words. The relay bascially takes the place of the microswitch so it is (just as you thought), a momentary on contact (closes when pressed then immediately opens on release).

1 Like