Customer building a house - best automation wiring before drywall

I find these hubs are very reliable. I only ever had issues with Z-wave.

What about rough-ins for displays? Thinking about my own setup, my main 'user front-end' (if you will) is Google. I have Minis and hubs all over the house and predominantly use voice commands for everything. The problem is that not everyone is familiar with using voice commands and the device structure is different for everyone. What this turns into is visitors having no idea how to control devices (think like maid service/dog sitter/etc.). Having some type of front end display in each room would go a long way. Given that the sizes of displays vary so much, I think a setback box with an outlet would do the trick.

1 Like

I actually include an iPad with any installation that I do. I create an email address for the location and make sure all of the apps are together on the main page.

My hub is fine managing a couple hundred zwave and zigbee devices plus integrations with several Hue hubs, a lutron hub, and a Bond bridge. So no worries there. The envisalink application is the issue. It's community supported and is relatively resource-intensive. I ran for a long time with Envisalink running on my one and only hub but recently decided to split it off onto its own hub. Plus... in the grand scheme of your project I seriously doubt if a $100 hub is going to break your budget :slight_smile:

Envisalink can also be offloaded to an rPi box but easier to just toss another HE at it.

4 Likes

I am leaning to two hubs. You are right the $100 is not the issue but simplicity for the customer is. Two hubs might confuse them?

I more meant along the lines of having a display at each switch location in each room with a dashboard for that room.

Something like what's being discussed here for each room:

If that's what pushes them over the edge you may have bigger worries :slight_smile:

Kidding aside I only offload processing to the second hub. Anything a user interacts with is on the primary hub.

2 Likes

That makes sense. People, even with money, get confused easily :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Especially with money!

3 Likes

Slightly off topic but I just wanted to give props to @brad5 for his excellent documentation on how to offload Envisalink to a secondary hub for those of you who have it on your primary hub and wish to lighten the load on your primary hub to increase performance and to raise the headroom. He did a fantastic job of providing step-by-step instructions here:Help offloading Envisalink processing to another hub.
Thanks again @brad5 !

3 Likes

Definitely put ethernet in the soffits for cameras. At my last house, I ran about 4 times more wire than I thought I needed. It made things really easy when installing new equipment.

Whole house WIRED audio system. Do the proper wiring to the keypad locations and wire for speakers in the ceiling and walls. I have most main rooms covered in this house, and it's great. I do have a Sonos, but it just connects to an input on the whole house system.

2 Likes

A few months ago I found this very interesting article that covers exactly what you are looking for.

I hope it is useful to you.

Cheers!

3 Likes

What a fun project and thread! Here are my thoughts:

• definitely push for speakers. The quality won’t evolve much and the experience of whole house audio is magical. Recommend Sonos Amps driving each zone uniquely

• setup Android power boxes for fire tablets to be mounted for home control in key rooms. Install either Sharptools, SmartTiles, or my HousePanel on those tablets. The GUI for these 3 panels are superior to the built in one

• not sure your customer will be happy with Hubitat for day to day mobile interactions. Consider giving them an Apple HomeKit integration setup. They are likely to have iPhones and will want an easy way to control things from their smart phones. I use this for my woofie and she loves the CX of HomeKit. The magic of Homebridge that happens behind the scenes is not visible to her

• I wouldn’t stress too much about wiring. The future is wireless and 5G and beyond. If there is a home theater room you could focus there and provide a high bandwidth link to the server closet.

• give some thought to security cameras. Where are they are how are they connected?

• offer them a support service. Don’t expect they will manage the setup in DIY mode.

2 Likes

Be sure to have a neutral and ground and power in EVERY box.

Also, use at least Cat 6a or 8 Ethernet cable. Consider ways to make the Ethernet cable accessible down the road so it can be easily replaced if needed (without having to tear drywall open).

Use the deepest boxes possible for the switches.

Look at the Inovelli Dimmers. They're super sweet.

3 Likes

If using Lutron RadioRA2, install recessed, ceiling mounted RadioRA2 motion sensors. I would use as much RadioRA2 as the budget allows for a very solid, reliable lighting solution.

4 Likes

I will have to check that out.

Good call. I will do that. I will get him to plan out the cameras and pre-wire.

Thank you

I will definitely check it out.

I totally agree with you. I setup most of their automation on HomeKit (via the Lutron hub). I have a service contract that goes with my installations so that will solve any issues they may have.

1 Like

I always put a neutral in every box.

4 Likes