Current Meter capability, current or amperage attribute?

Source: Driver Capability List | Hubitat Documentation

This capability defines the amperage attribute. In the past most people used 'current' to report the Amps meter info. It sort of makes sense, Watts is power and we call it power, kWh is Energy and we call it energy. Amps is Current and we call it amperage?

Is this what CurrentMeter is intended for? Should we use amperage going forward for a meter device that reports amps? I used it in a relatively new driver and got some push back.

This is probably the way ST defined it. Backwards compatibility suggest leaving it alone.

I don't think this existed in ST. Most of the old ST DTH's manually defined a "current" attribute.

You're right, it wasn't in ST.

So just what are you proposing? Amperage is the amount of current; an ampere is the unit of measure of current. Just like volt is the unit of measure for voltage, and watt is the unit of measure of power.

When you say "In the past most people used 'current' to report the Amps meter info" just what past are you referring to? "Most people" in what context?

I guess I'm missing the point (not uncommon or unusual). A voltmeter reports volts, a power meter reports watts, and a current meter reports amps.

Wattage = number of watts
Voltage = number of volts
Amperage - number of amps

1 Like

Yes, and the attribute is called amperage, but watts is the amount of power and the attribute is called power (not watts). Same goes with energy.

If you look at older drivers from ST or Hubitat, I mostly see them using 'current' as the attribute.

I was questions two things, 1) is CurrentMeter intended to be used for a smart plug that offers up a current value?, 2) Should any new driver created now use this standard attribute of amperage instead of what most prior drivers use (current)?

1 Like

So, your concern is that the power attribute is misnamed, and should be wattage?

Drivers should conform to the capabilities definition. One can quibble with the words used in the specification, but it is the specification. I have no idea what old drivers you're referring to, or why its relevant.

I was wanting Amps recently as I've been reorganising my network rack to be tidier. This meant only 1 extension to the outlet but multiple plugged into that one. So for safety, I came up with this rule. The voltage (240) will depend on where you are.

It sounds like the following are described:

current units: amperage
amperage units: amperage

I guess the driver should pick one of the above.

There is no attribute called "current". The units are "A", for amps. The attribute is "amperage".

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.