Current advice for Hubitat-friendly door lock?

What is the current recommendation for a Hubitat-friendly door lock? I need to have it continue to work with the manufacturers phone ap - both Android and Apple because no one else is going to install and use a Hubitat ap on their phone. All locks in the house are currently Schlage. Ability to program the lock to use the current keys a plus but not essential. Suggestions? Thanks!

EDIT: Ignore below - I missed that OP wanted both Bluetooth and Z-Wave/Zigbee at the same time.

I just had to buy a new door lock about 8 months ago, and got a Zigbee Yale Assure.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y6CJ21C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had zero issues. I'd buy it again if I needed another lock.

I also have an older Schlage model that I've never had trouble with, but in general my Zigbee mesh has always been more stable/reliable than Z-Wave, so I went w/Zigbee when I wanted to add a second lock.

4 Likes

You'll need to get a lock that supports two protocols: Bluetooth - to use the manufacturer's app, and a z-protocol - to pair with Hubitat.

The Ultraloq U-Bolt Pro Z-wave has both Bluetooth and Z-Wave.

The Alfred DB1 also has Bluetooth and Z-Wave.

By the end of the year, the Yale Assure Lock 2 is supposed to have a module that does both Bluetooth and Z-Wave.

5 Likes

Oops, totally missed that point, sorry. :slight_smile: But looks like @aaiyar has my back. :smiley:

4 Likes

I recently installed this one a couple weeks ago--not technically at my house, so I don't use it every day, but I've heard from the owner that it's much better than the Kwikset Kevo Convert it replaced. :smiley: For the most part it is OK, but if anyone is interested in a mini-review, my main points of concern are:

• seems to require the manufacturer's app to set up any Z-Wave (and, of course, Bluetooth) stuff, including putting it in inclusion/exclusion mode -- not a concern right now but could be if the manufacturer disappears in the future (no way to do it on-device that I know of)
  • does not appear to pass lock code data over Z-Wave, just locked/unlocked reports (I don't see it in the raw Z-Wave data, either, so I don't think it's a driver issue, but I only looked at a couple reports and may have missed something) -- though they can be set from Hubitat
  • similar to the above, does not distinguish code from thumbprint unlocks (if you get that model) over Z-Wave
  • as a pro: uses Schlage C key cylinders and is easy to swap out with another Schlage C key cylinder -- this was the most assuring thing about this lock given that I'd never heard of this vendor before and had no idea about the quality of their keys, locks, etc.

The new Yale Assure models look promising, but I don't know if they're out yet. The Schlage Connect Zigbee model works great for me, but it's hard for me to find in stock anywhere at the moment (it's what I would have used here if I could). The Z-Wave ones are...so-so and not on the official compatibility list for a reason, though many are able to make them work well, and it's likely the newer Z-Wave Plus models are better (this advice dates from the classic Z-Wave models, and likely only specific firmware versions of them--but I'm not sure anyone has tested for sure). FWIW, the Kevo Convert was worse than my worst Schlage...

2 Likes

I have mine on a secondary door, it's been a few months and the battery still reporting 100%. I'm not sure I believe it but again it's not the main door with heavy daily traffic.

1 Like

The Alfred DB2 has Bluetooth and zwave as well. The zwave is a plug in module. Might even be able to swap it for a zigbee plugin as well.

Edit : nope I lied. Zwave or wifi plug-ins.

2 Likes

I have the Ultraloq Pro (fingerprint version) with the Z-Wave add-in on my one and only door for several months now. (I live in a condo). I am happy with the lock itself, but very unhappy with their refusal to allow Z-Wave to see only if it is locked or not. It came with a door sensor, but it doesn’t report via Z-Wave if the door is open or not.

It doesn’t seem like the fingerprint reader is getting any smarter as they claimed it would. In fact, I think it worked better when I first set it up. It is also a bit narrow on how much leeway it gives you for it to recognize the fingerprints. While I sometimes have to try it 2-3 times, it is still better than a key or having to input a code every time (BTW, as long as the code is entered in order you can have random numbers before or after before pressing the enter button (at the 6 o’clock position) and it will still open to thwart people peeking at your presses).

The auto-unlock is also very hit or miss and you have to go a significant ways away (about a block) before it sees you as away.

As it often takes a long time for it to auto-unlock, when it does it at all, I often get tired of waiting for it and use my fingerprint. However, it certainly seems there is a bug in the software in that it seems the auto-lock doesn’t realizes it has been opened and cancels the unlock, but instead, unlocks the door some time after I’m already in. This is disconcerting, but since I have the auto-lock turned on to re-lock the door if unlocked and the door isn’t opened in X seconds, it just re-locks itself shortly thereafter. But still, this should have been fixed already.

Support also told me month’s ago that the auto-unlock was going to be fixed in the next software release, but as of now (10/03/2022) I haven’t seen any improvement in it.

3 Likes

Does anyone have experience with the Alfred locks? I was looking at these a while ago when on sale but never got anything. The only difference I really spot between the DB1 and DB2 is the finish and style, where the DB1 is more basic looking. I have never had smart locks before but have been looking to add some for a while.

2 Likes

I bought a DB2-B + zwave module about a year and a half ago and love it. I replaced a schlage BE469 non-plus zwave carried over from wink and worked 95% of the time with the C5 and worse with the C7 with the S0 security.

Alfred is a Canadian company and I think locks is all they do. There are a couple comparisons on YouTube between the DB1 and the DB2. The later is a bit larger and I actually like the looks of the DB1 better. I’m not sure now why I went with the DB2 but it was something from the reviews.

I had a problem with it last summer and called support and they couriered a new zwave module to me. Meanwhile Bobby helped me diagnose that my two zen25 were flooding my zwave (I had power reporting reduced as far as it goes).

Otherwise the lock has been 100%.

I keep the BT off and batteries are probably about 8months, so could be better. That’s the only thing I can say negatively. When the batteries drop below 45%, back to back open/close operations can fail due to low voltage.

I bought the keyed option because my rear door is a patio door, so if the electronics went up in smoke, I need a mechanical way to operate it.

My wife didn’t like the looks of it when I installed it but she never complains about this one. Period. The schlage was always talked about.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.