Curious: does eight sleep tracker have an API with real-time updates?

I’m not a developer so either way it doesn’t matter, but im curious. So I got the eight sleep tracking mat. It’s WiFi. The app registers presence almost instantly but doesn’t “upload” the information until like 15 mins later. When you get up it records that Immediatly, But than takes all the other stats, processes them all together locally, then upload them all together 15mins later. Is it possible to have an integration update presence as soon as it’s recorded or your just attached to the upload

Sorry, I don't really understand your question. What do you mean "post" vs "upload"? Are you saying if the API reports it at 1:18 but it really happened at 1:08 that it be back-dated? No, I don't think that is possible.

I think what you’re really wondering is something like the following?

“Does the eight sleep tracker have an api that can receive real-time updates of the device status? The IFTTT integration has a 15 minute delay.”

Or something to that effect?

2 Likes

Yes this

1 Like

Check their website or other home automation sites, there should be a description of the API (application programming interface), if there is one.

But keep in mind many IoT devices don’t expose anything beyond their native app, or IFTTT/Amazon Alexa/Google Assistant integration.

Ok, thx

1 Like

Now I get it. What you'd probably need is someone to download the Android app, decompile it and/or sniff the HTTP traffic, reverse engineer how the API works, and code that in HE. That's what I've had to do for most devices that don't have published APIs. It's what others have done too. It's a lot of work...

The other option is to see if anyone else already figured it out. It looks like someone wrote a Python library for that device already, GitHub - mezz64/pyEight: Python library to interface with the Eight Sleep API so you could start from there. But you'd still need to build an app/driver for HE based on that.

I’ll send you a brand new one if u wanna do it. Kidding, but kinda not

Lol. Let me think about it. I do like building integrations! I'm currently working on an integration for the Orbit BHyve, a new version of HPM, a PetSafe Smart feeder integration, an (I think) really cool app to manage my holiday lights, and I just started a new job 2 weeks ago so I'm a little busy right now :wink:

I might be interested in giving it a try. The one thing is though, it's kind of hard to promise I can make it work. Sometimes these guys make it super hard to figure out how it works! When I wanted to build a Kohler DTV+ integration it took me almost 4 months to figure out how it worked!

My challenge is now I'm maintaining like 30+ apps/drivers and there's only so many hours in the day!

Sure, lmk it’s this one btw

Only I pad like $20 lol

I see you have a pet, have you seen the garmin delta smart? It awsome as is but the possibilities would be endless if integrated with he. Especially with those tags. Triggering an automation when the dog goes somewhere. There was talk about it on reddit a while ago but I can no longer find the thread.

I have indoor cats so they don't really go anywhere. Does seem like an interesting device though. Another one that doesn't seem to offer an open API... Unfortunately SOOOOOO many companies don't seem to :frowning:

Yea, I wouldn’t get it for a cat. Lol

My cats go from the couch to the bed and that's 90% of their lives :slight_smile: