CT 101 Thermostat Mystery Parameter

Continuing the discussion from V2 Iris Keypad setup howto needed:

Can someone with a CT 101 help me figure something out? When my temp change rules run, they run inconsistently. Very often the coolingSetpoint will change but the heatingSetpoint I want is ignored. Looking at the logs, there is a mysterious parameter often reported called "thermostatSetpoint" which is not exposed in the device driver page or mentioned in the manual. "Refresh" often reports than number (always a different random number) instead of heatingSetpoint. Whatever it is, I'm starting to wonder if it is interfering with my heatingSetpoint commands. Does anyone else see this mystery parameter in the logs for their CT 101?

I'm not 100% sure, but it seems as if the thermostatSetpoint is the parameter if the thermostat is programmed with a temperature on the device itself. The Thermostat Scheduler app should override the manual settings and control the thermostat. According to the log, that parameter seems to come from the device.

I should say that I just got it set up so I will have to see if my setpoints change according to my schedule. I'll know more in the next few days.

Thanks. I never programmed anything into the Tstat... just did a factory re-set and paired. I'll be interested in your experience using Thermo Scheduler. I opted to use Rule Machine because my needs seemed too complex for modes and Thermo Scheduler. I mean, I started with those but had to change. And for some reason the Thermostat just... won't... listen to Rule Machine with any consistency. Maddening. Been looking for a failure pattern for a week and a half at least. All, I notice so far seems absurd... that it only works when I'm sitting in front of my computer monkeying with Hubitat. If I'm out of the house, it usually fails. If I'm sleeping, it fails. If I'm watching TV, it fails. Hey-- maybe its jealous! :wink:

No, I don't think jealousy comes into play. Did you delete the Thermostat Scheduler when you decided to go with the Rule Machine? Also, I understand that the Rule Machine can be tricky. You may have gotten something in the rule not quite right.

What is it you are trying to do? There is the option in the Thermostat Scheduler to add additional periods if I recall correctly. Plus, there is the option (which we will test tomorrow) to have the thermostat drop back while we are away and resume normal schedule when we return. I did not check out the "Use days of week for settings" because we did not need different schedules for different days. I also left the "leave" and "return blank because I did not need those either since we are retired and one of us is home most of the time. The "Use setpoints for Away" was sufficient for when we both are out. I also did not select to "Turn on to use modes schedule instead of days" since I don't have much in the way of modes set up.

When you were using the Thermostat Scheduler, was it working for you?

Edit: Now that the schedule has had a chance to work, I can say that the Thermostat Scheduler is working properly. It changed to the night setting and back to the awake setting properly. I'll see if it changes to the away setting and back to the home setting soon.

I have a CT100 and I'm sure we all have the same z-wave module. I've had to make some concessions with this.

1. The first is that I only change two things at most in any Rule. In my particular case, I only change the coolingSetpoint and coolingSetpoint when I'm home or when I leave. When I'm home it sets it to 71 and 76. When I'm away it sets it to 68 and 82.

1. The second thing I do is only have two settings for thermostatMode. Most of the time I leave it in "auto." When I open a window, then it changes to off. So, in this case, I'm only changing one thing.

1. I have a refresh rule that runs ever 20 seconds. The thermostatOperatingState is not always consistent about communicating that state back to HE. I have ceiling fans that turn on and off when the state is either in heating or cooling. The refresh makes sure that the changes are picked up by HE. I figured since SmartThings refreshes/polls everything one every 10 seconds, this wouldn't be a bad thing.

44%20AM

Once I adopted those three rules, then we have been coexisting nicely.

That's really interesting. Thinking it might be a refresh problem, I wrote a rule to refresh the thermo just before any of my scheduled changes. It didn't help at all :frowning: Each passing day brings less compliance. At this point, the Thermo ignores almost all my rules.

Like you, I'm only changing heat and cool set points. I leave the thermo on Auto all the time. I just don't know what's going on. I think I'll go back to trying the scheduler app because 5 weeks of trying has not made my RM rules work.

I'd love to know the difference between refreshing and polling. Does one function as a "hey wake up and listen for a command" tool? And why, of all my devices, only one is poll-able (a GE paddle switch). No other devices appear in my poll list.

Okay. It has been a couple of days since I last checked this topic. One thing that may be making a difference is that my CT 101 is powered by a 24V line coming from the package unit connected to the C terminal. My package unit is American Standard which is made by the same people who make Trane. If it is on battery only, it does shut down in order to conserve battery life. That is possibly why it is not responding. It needs to be woken up first. By being powered, mine stays awake all the time. I have read that some people have connected a 12V power supply to the C terminal with the other wire connected to the RH terminal (no polarity). The installation instructions do say that a constant power source is required for radio operation.

Now that I have had a chance to use it for a few days, I can say that the thermostat is behaving as expected using just the Thermostat Scheduler app. I have not had any issues with it failing to respond.

Yeah, I ran C-wires to both my thermos thinking that was the problem, although Iris never had trouble with them. Didn't help.

The problem I was having was using Rule Machine to control them. I did that because at first, I didn't think I could run two thermos with two different schedules via Thermo Scheduler. So, the failures were related to Rule Machine. It got so the only time the thermo would execute a command was if the thermo had just been polled on it's mysterious polling schedule. Therefore, RM failed 95% of the time. Apparently there is no way to poll a thermostat when you want it polled, so it just wouldn't work.

Finally, I asked myself, "what is the least intuitive answer to this problem?" That's when it occurred to me to try installing the thermo Scheduler app twice. Once for each thermo.

I still had a bunch of Z-Wave drama to go through... the second CT 101 paired and stole the network ID number of the first one, which fouled up my entire mesh. Finally got that sorted out. So, finally, at the end of 6 weeks, I have two functional CT 101 thermostats running on two instances of Thermo Scheduler.

Man. That was not fun.

Wow! That was something else! It was not clear from the previous posts that you were trying to run two separate CT101 thermostats. What do you think the cause of the 2nd thermostat stealing the ID of the first was? Was that before you ran the C wires? It could be the one thermostat was inactive when the 2nd was paired. Someone with much more experience will have to chime in on this one.

Congratulations on getting it sorted out. I don't know how much help I was but I'm glad you got it working.

The timeline of the whole saga was:

1. Pair one CT 101.
  2. Install Thermo Scheduler.
  3. Try for a couple days... seemed slightly erratic, but I was so new to HE that I wasn't keeping very good track of things.
  4. Notice that Thermo Scheduler has only one schedule. Seemed like I couldn't use it for 2 Thermos.
  5. Switched to Rule Machine since I'd be using two thermos with different schedules
  6. Copied rules from people who successfully use RM to schedule their Thermostats.
  7. Worked for a couple days, then the first time it switched to away mode, it started getting more and more erratic. Logs show commands sent, but thermo ignores them.
  8. Wired both Thermos to C- wires since commands were obviously not getting thru.
  9. That did nothing. Eventually it only seemed to accept commands at 6pm, when the thermo automatically polls itself.
  10. Deciding it was a polling problem, I asked about polling on the boards.
  11. No helpful answers.
  12. 5 weeks have gone by trying to figure this out, when I realize I might be able to install Thermo Scheduler twice and use that.
  13. Yes! You can!
  14. Set up and test the first thermo on Thermo Scheduler. Still works after 3 days Woot!
  15. Remove second thermo from Iris and pair to HE, and it steals the ID of the first one and hoses the mesh! It also knocks the first thermo totally offline even though it's still on the device page.
  16. Z-Wave repair fails time after time.
  17. Remove 2nd thermo
  18. Remove 1st thermo and re-pair it.
  19. Turn off 1st thermo, remove batteries and pull c-wire.
  20. Re-pair thermo number two, and.... yes... with thermo one completely shut off, thermo two receives it's own Network ID number.
  21. Power up thermo 1. Yay... it remembers who it is.
  22. Rebuild all my rules and dashboards.
    Total, 6 weeks.
    But I think they are working now.

I really think there is some problem with Rule Machine and the CT 101 that concerns polling, or lack thereof.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.