Creative NFC Tag Ideas

Thank you for this! I have battled presence detection since day 1 and just bought 20 nfc213 tags. I've been trying to wrap my head around how to use a single tag for multiple people to set presence and am going to use this approach. Beats having a bunch of tags lined up next to each other.

Edit: hey, quick question....is it possible to toggle presence based on a command given through Maker API? Like could a single tag set both present and not present, or would you need to use a rule? I'm thinking a rule would be needed.

1 Like

I finally go the toggle idea to work. This is android specific.
I wrote a single NFC tag to run a task through the app NFC Tasks. It triggers a macro that I wrote in the app Macrodroid that simply sends a http request. I named the macro the same on multiple phones but each phone has the appropriate endpoint for the person specific rule in their macro.
Toggle presence macro sends endpoint to wife rule when triggered on her phone, Toggle presence macro sends endpoint to my rule when triggered on my phone. etc
I don't use Tasker, but I assume the same method would work. Name the task the same on each phone but have it point to the correct endpoint.
The only caveat so far is when my wife or daughter leaves the house and forgets to tap the tag and "log out" I'll probably have to mount a chocolate dispenser next to the tag so they remember :smiley:

1 Like

Hahaha

Ah yes, tasker should be able to do that as well, good thinking!

I also got it working using a different local endpoint for each device using tasker on Android and NFC for iphone for my 8+ (let's you trigger a shortcut with a scan). It looks like it's possible to pass a parameter with it as well.

I'm going to try to get it working the way you are describing. Thanks for the idea and explanation!

NFC tasks also allows you to store a variable on your phone. You can then write a URL to the nfc chip with a reference to the variable inside the URL.

When your phone scans the chip the full URL is requested. Any other phone requests an invalid URL as the variable isnt present. Ive had success with this triggering webhooks in IFTTT using the api key as the secret variable. I assume the Hubitat Maker API would also work this way.

Anyone triggered an event in Tasker or other when set on the tag and another if no longer on it?

? Huh? Didnt quite understand this.

I assume we are talking about have a tag on some kind of cradle, so picking up when the phone is set down on a charger or something like that? Can't claim any experience with NFC tags though, sorry...

I tried to do this awhile back and as far as I can tell, it's not possible. Everything I read said that devices don't know when you remove them from a tag.

1 Like