Creating buttons to control BroadLink

I’m hoping someone can explain in terms a newbie can understand… I’m still very new to the Hubitat world and have a lot to learn.

What are variables and how do I set them?

How do I assign button numbers to execute commands in the broadlink remote?

Are your desired Broadlink commands already integrated into Hubitat?

Are you seeking to create a Hubitat dashboard with buttons that mimic a remote's layout (or something along those lines)?

I couldn’t find a way to migrate the remotes already programmed into my BroadLink app so I’ve started learning it codes I’ve only got a few basic commands so far. I have a few buttons learned in to the remote and that’s as far as I was able to get. I would like to make a virtual remote using buttons so I can create basic rules to run the remote.

To be clear then, you haven't actually done anything with the Hubitat Broadlink community-developed integration app yet?

That app is great, but I won't lie... I'd consider it a challenging app to work thru if you're new to Hubitat (due to how Broadlink works, so no shade on the dev who wrote it!).

The dev wrote a really good readme file (linked in the link above), but it's geared toward someone who already has healthy familiarity with Hubitat and Rule Machine. I'd start with a full review of that readme...

My Broadlink command needs are pretty simple, so I don't have a dashboard for my Broadlink stuff -- hopefully other fellow Broadlink users here will be able to offer some good ideas for that part.

3 Likes

it's not obvious how to have broadlink actions executed within a rule or button controller. Here's my automation for changing channel and pausing DVR

1 Like

The read me for this integration is pretty extensive and actually has been very useful! I already have 3 BroadLink remotes paired up using the community integration app
and I learned in the IR codes to turn on and off my living room TV and turn the volume up or down.

1 Like

Thank you for the image! I’m going to try to use that to build my own actions!

Would you be able to somehow screen record how you made that? I tried building off of your screen shot but I’m unable to make anything that executes any commands.

In Rule Machine, you have to use the device type Actuator in order to select either the sendSavedCode or push command... I've always used push myself, but either should work fine.

I'm pretty sure you'd do the same thing in Button Controller too, since Button Controller's rule-build options are basically the same as Rule Machine.

I named one of the Broadlink commands that I added "Power" -- this is how I call that command in Rule Machine:

3 Likes

hydro311 got you hooked up. If you need any further help, let me know. But yeah it's a bit obscure to me, a non programmer, tweak it till it breaks kind of guy. Actuator? WTH is that?
Once you get it setup it's very reliable, as long as your hub doesn't crash from low memory

1 Like

Thank you so much! That worked!

1 Like

I’ve been experience some issues and didn’t even think to make sure it doesn’t have low memory… thanks for the tip!