Crazy idea or not? - Remind me when

I've been trying to figure this out for a while. Here's the concept.

I'm lazy and would like to be able to remind myself of things to bring up from the basement next time I make a trip. Something like "Alexa: Remind me to bring up paper plates the next time I'm in the basement."
Then the next time the "basement stairs" motion detector motion is detected, send a notification like "Reminder: Don't forget to take up paper plates upstairs"

Anyone tried to do anything like this? Can't figure out how to pass a message from Alexa and/or Siri to store this message for later use.

Any pointers would be appreciated!

There are a couple ways to get Alexa to speak on command. Just using a virtual contact to tell Alexa to say something is simple, but limited. It might not work for this since you really want to have Alexa say something other than fixed phrases. The other is to use Echo Speaks or similar (search the community).

Reading your description, and thinking about the usability part of this, here's what I was thinking. Create a "Bring up from basement" list in Alexa. You then can tell Alexa to add/remove items, and clear the list. Trigger on motion in basement to send Alexa a custom command (again, search community for how), with the command "Alexa, what's on my Bring up from basement list?".

2 Likes

I go to the basement to get something, realize while Iā€™m down there I need to do this and this and this and then come upstairs without getting what I originally went downstairs to get.

8 Likes

Great approach. Yes, I'm quite familiar with Echo Speaks. I created a virtual switch called "Basement Reminders" that I can turn on/off via Alexa. Then the following Rule Machine rule to get the echo near the steps to announcement what's on my "basement list" until I clear the list and turn off the reminders. IF I could do both at once that would be nice. But for now, this is the solution I've been trying to find for a couple of months. Thanks HAL. And please close the pod bay doors.
Rule: