CPU ramps up when using WebCoRE editor!

For the past week or two everytime I'm in dashboard.webcore.co my CPU usage goes up to 9% from < 1%. This especially happens when I view a piston or edit it. The mouse slows right down and editing become extremly sluggish as if the computer can't keep up. My systems' fans start speeding up too. This occurs in Chrome and in Edge and on different computers.

Oddly enough for the first time today I stumbled on staging.webcore.co and when I use that my system is perfectly fine, no slowing down. As soon as I go back to regular WebCoRE... it slows right back down again. Anyone can explain this?

I cleared all caches and still the same. Here are both screenshots.

dashboard.webcore video... SLOW

staging.webcore video... NORMAL

1 Like

Well I’m glad that staging works better than dashboard and not vice versa… that at least suggests that it may have been fixed rather than something new to investigate. The live site will be updated later this week, I’ll update here when it’s live. We can see if it’s code that was fixed on staging (no longer having cpu issues) or something specific to the live build (still having cpu issues with the same code as staging).

2 Likes

Looking forward to the update. Thanks

I can confirm this behavior as well.

same here

Same here

Same for me however when I use Firefox it does not.

Do all of you have the same observation that https://staging.webcore.co is not slowing down your computer in the same way? I am planning to do that update in a couple hours and would like to see whether it is resolved for everyone. I have not made any changes that would definitively resolve this so I wouldn't be surprised if after updating the code the staging site still works fine and dashboard is still slow, but we'll have to give it a try.

Alright I tried it in Chrome and very clearly see the same problem. ⋮ > More Tools > Task Manager shows the tab quickly spinning up to 100% CPU. I'm going to try the easy thing first and deploy the code updates on staging just to see if that has any effect.

1 Like

Dashboard code has been updated but there is no change, still ramping up the CPU. I'm going to do more testing. Thanks everyone for following up here.

1 Like

No luck with breakpoints or profiling... I did a local override of the dashboard page component and removed every single piece of Angular template code and it was still spinning up to 100%. The profiler showed only "Long task" with no way to see what that task is.

Then I deleted the last line in the dashboards page, the loading spinner that shows in the background. No CPU load. I put everything back except the loading spinner and the tab is chilling around 10-15% CPU. Repeatable. Wild.

I'm going to remove that loading spinner for now, it may be back but it's fairly unimportant and I don't have time at the moment to figure out what chromium update might have broken this. I'm seeing the same problem and fix on staging now, too.

Please refresh the dashboard, if you're still having problems please clear cache/hard refresh the page then let me know if it persists.

3 Likes

@ipaterson
I loaded the latest code and after a quick test with code editing, it seems to be snappy again. No lag or CPU ramp-up like before.! Great work!

2 Likes

Glad to hear it! Bizarre, hope nobody misses the spinner animation. This was a ninja edit, I’ll push the code for those who self host the dashboard tomorrow.

2 Likes

I tested dragging and dropping sections of code. It is still not working; it will stutter or lock up. Anyone seeing this or is it just me.

I agree. It bogs down when dragging and dropping. Yesterday, I said that it seemed OK, but I did not test it very intensely. Now that I have, I can confirm that it is still slow.

Update1 - I cleared my browser's cache (Google Chrome) and it sped right back up!
@ipaterson
Update2 - It appears I have been premature. After clearing the cache, all seemed OK. However, I decided to have a look at the Chrome Task Manager. Here's what it shows after just opening a piston for viewing (i.e., not even editing):

If I may ask, what is it meant by "self host the dashboard"? Are you not talking about WebCoRE's code installed either by HPM or embeded in the Hubitat software updates?

Some people like to run their own web server as an alternative to dashboard.webcore.co. I'm not sure how many people do that or why, but it comes up from time to time.

1 Like

98% CPU !?
Bloody hell is WebCoRE mining for coins? LOL

So did I but then, like you, it started to slow down again.

Just checking back to make sure this is all back to normal now. On the staging site I had removed the loading spinner from the dashboard but it appeared separately on the piston page and fuel streams as well. Last week's update to the staging and live dashboards should have removed all of the loading spinners so CPU usage should be reasonable whether you're on the dashboard or piston page.