Could Sylvania make it any more confusing to buy light strips

Oooo just got it working. I was unplugging the lights at the five pin connector instead of with the power brick and then it hit that I need to reset the zigbee module.. So I pulled the power brick on and off with the five second power cycle and worked! Also, I had the five pins plugged in backwards at first, and it lit up blue. Make sure the Rgbw labels match up the connector with the light strip.

2 Likes

Yup. Thatā€™s it. Iā€™ve had to reset mine a zillion times! The engineer that came up with that process should be flogged! I was forced to replace all of my Lightify strip modules with Smart+. Even putting the lightify devices on their own HE didnā€™t resolve units from becoming unresponsive.

Someone mentioned a while back that once the firmware is updated to 102428 that the reset becomes 5 fast power cycles. I havenā€™t tried that yet because the lights come ready to pair, and when I updated them I reset them from the Sylvania gateway. Just an FYI.

I picked up a few Sylvania strips recently (some from the sellers mentioned in this thread), and here's what I've learned so far (all products physically in hand).

• 73661:

• Power Supply: 12V indoor on-wall power supply (wall wart)
    • Power Supply Connector: indoor barrel plug
    • Zigbee Module: separate, barrel connector for power, 5-pin +RGBW for LED
    • LED Strip: 12V, 5-pin +RGBW connectors, limit 20ft total
    • Firmware (as shipped): 0x00102101
  • 73685:

• Power Supply: 12V outdoor on-wall power supply (wall wart)
    • Power Supply Connector: 2-pin weatherproof
    • Zigbee Module: permanently attached to LED strip, 2-pin weatherproof connector for power
    • LED Strip: 12V, no connectors - cannot extend/cut (officially)
    • Firmware (as shipped): 0x01020492
  • 73773:

• Power Supply: 24V outdoor power brick with cord (as show in this thread)
    • Power Supply Connector: 2-pin weatherproof
    • Zigbee Module: separate, 2-pin weatherproof connector for power, 5-pin +RGBW for LED
    • LED Strip: 12V, 5-pin +RGBW connectors, limit 80ft total
    • Firmware (as shipped): 0x00102411

All have successfully connected to a ConBee II Zigbee controller.

1 Like

These updated to 00102428 for me, as did all of my Smart+ lights; not sure that they started with 00102411 as that doesnā€™t sound familiar. SmartThings didnā€™t have the update for these and a couple others , but the Lightify gateway did.

Darn. I was so happy with the price of the strips. Now I have to buy their gateway to update them?? Here I thought he here would be a good use for that ST hub.

You can get the gateway pretty cheap. I bought a couple ( ok one by accident ) on eBay for 15 each.
I have a spare if you want it for 10 bucks ( plus whatever the shipping is ) .

I got a brand new gateway and crappy lightbulb on eBay for $8.79 shipped free about a month ago.

I appreciate it. Already ordered on Amazon though.

I donā€™t think itā€™s necessary if theyā€™re on 00102411. I think the update to 428 might just improve their functionality with the gateway. In other words, if it ainā€™t broke, donā€™t fix it.

Must have been a run on those lights.
I went to order a few more and they have gone up to 23 and are out of stock. Oh well. Canā€™t expect good deals to last forever.

One correction, since I can't seem to find an edit button for my previous post: the 73773 strip comes with a 24V LED strip, not a 12V one. Sorry for any confusion... copy/paste is the devil's tool.

I got 2 sets of the $16 deal WallyWorld had, and did part of my kitchen with them. I need one more set to complete the project because the Hue strips I already had canā€™t match the color of the Sylvania 73773. Does anyone have an extra set to sell or trade? I have a the Sylavania Flex Connect set less 1 of the 1ā€™ cables to trade, or a variety of bulbs

After my lights fell down ( for the 3rd time) i pulled them all down, ordered new ones and re-installed in a light track....still hanging and looks awesome.

The 73773 kit ( 24v light strip and power supply) was out of stock so i ordered the 24v light strip ( just the strip not the kit) under 74282 ( that was roughly the same price ...16 or 17 dollars on Walmart.) They either made a mistake or substituted the 73773s on purpose as each strip had a power supply.

I just did a search for 73773 and the 74284 on Walmart. Nada...we must have wiped them out. Amazon still has 73773 but the kits are $85 now, and i cant even find the 74282 on amazon.

i seem to recall that Sylvania has a different wiring scheme than other RGBW strips. I bought a sylvania zigbee controller without the lights and it was quite frustrating that the colors didn't work right ...so uncertain if that was the generic light strips i bought or the sylvania zigbee RGBW controller i bought. Either way - i made a gender bender ( color bender?) to invert the switched wires but i didn't have this light near the other sylvania RGBW strips so i dont know if the color is close enough to put them next to each other.

I do however have a set of 12v sylvania lights near the 24v sylvania set.... the color matches perfect.

I used all of my lights but i do have a couple of spare 24v power supplies / zigbee controllers and i'm certain i have a spare 12v power supply / controller. I might even have a couple of feet of light from the end of a strip..i can look. How many feet do you need to complete the project?

And i stand by my post topic....as i was searching to see who else might carry these kits....sylvania could really make it easier. separate out by : 12 v vs 24.....not compatible in any way. then by Kit ( includes PS / Controller / Light strip ) or any of them individually.....but no...their naming and descriptions still suck! haha....not frustrated this time though

Cheers
mac

2 Likes

Thats a good summary of the different options.
I thought i would add a little to that based on my observations to supplement your initial post.

• has the full kit but only comes with 3 * 2' strips
  • can be cut about every 6"

• expansion strips only. Works with 73661 kit....and only contains 2 * 2' strips

• expandable up to 80 feet ( confirmed this and i honestly dont see any light degradation. I circled my patio ( actually used 6 * 16 foot strips ) and the end of the last strip meets up with the beginning of the 1st strip in the corner where i started. so i get to see the difference of light intensity at the beginning end ( closest to the power supply) and at the end of the 90 feet....and any voltage drop there may be is unnoticeable)
  • I could not see a cut mark on these...possibly as they are outdoor rated. However the light / resistor pattern does repeat itself every 2 feet so i think ( though not certain) you'd be able to cut at 2 foot intervals

• Covered in some slimy protective plastic. you'd need to wash this down in some solvent if you ever hope to get 2 way tape to stick!
1 Like

I need a 24VDC PSU with Zigbee controller and about 12ā€™ of strips (4ā€™ + 8ā€™). My project is over and under cabinets replacing puck lights controlled by light switch. I had to put the power supplies above the cabinets due to their size, so I just cut off the supply side and hardwired the 110VAC. Are you willing to sell or trade?

Also curious, where did you find the 24VDC PSU by itself? Did it have a Zigbee controller attached to it? I scored some of the outdoor accent lights that Amazon had on sale, and it essentially uses the same PSU and Zigbee controller except the controller is black and I suspect the guts are potted.

I connected 6 strips to the single power supply and controller. Itā€™s rated for 5 and I never have them on full brightness so I have a spare if you can find the strip separate.
Cheers.
Mac

I bought some of the outside accent lights too. But mine are 5v supply. May be different kits. The ones I bought for the last scape lights are 75541 kits. These 77377 kits are the only ones Iā€™ve seen with 24 volts. Love the total length of 80 feet though on those.
Can you let me k ow which kits you found for accent lights that are 24v? Iā€™d like to look at those for the same reason.....longer length runs.
Cheers.
Mac

The Accent Lights/Gardenspots power supply looks the same as the Flex XL one, but it is 5 volts. I bought 4 of the Gardenspot kits and attached two kits to each power supply and they work perfectly even though thats over the rated number of bulbs, and with temperatures close to 100 lately.