Correct Fibaro Dimmer 2 Driver

I'm doing some initial trials prior to (hopefully) a full migration from SmartThings to Hubitat, and one of the first devices moved over was a Fibaro Dimmer 2 (getting this working correctly is a priority, as they're by far the most prevalent light controller in the house - I'm UK-based, without neutrals behind most wall switches :slightly_frowning_face:, and these are one of the few devices useable in those circumstances).

I started with the built in Hubitat Fibaro Dimmer driver, but ran into two problems with this; first of all, it doesn't allow access to the S2 notifications (a good few of my dimmers make use of this). Second, and more seriously, the switch type setting for it doesn't seem to work; the actual switch type is momentary, and the device config claims that's the one set, but as soon as the driver's installed for the device it starts behaving like a toggle and no setting changes affect that (I've been clicking "Configure" after making the change).

So based on recommendations in the forums I installed the @ericm one from his github.

Something significant's not working there, as when selected that doesn't offer any Preferences for the device. The script looks superficially correct and complete (I'm a software developer by trade, but have very little Groovy experience and am completely new to the Hubitat API), with the text present and valid XML at the end of the script. But...no Preferences when installed/selected.

As a stopgap I've installed the "Basic Z-Wave tool" and used that to set parameter 20 to 0, which has the physical switch working correctly again.

Any advice on getting a driver with S2 support working would be very much appreciated, though!

don't click configure in this case just click save, for some reason when you click configure on the built in driver it messes up the inputs.

I'm moving these over now from the C4, I wish i hadn't. :pensive: mostly for this reason.

and because of that i use.

and like you have found it doesn't work :pensive:. its because the device joins S0 and that messes up the driver.

have you enabled settings?

then click

The following is a quote from Mike Maxwell of HE.

There's not much point in us yammering on for the sake of yammering..., anyway.
The issue in part with some (if not all) of the fibaro drivers has to do with a change from silicon labs in how they deal with multi channel frames, prior to the zwave firmware update on the c7, they were passing these through for processing, now they are not.
They are stating this change was by design and have transfered the issue to the specifications team to explain...
Unfortunatly I could give a crap about why spec changed this, all I care about is how to fix it...

I think we can take from this that there is going to be issues with Fibaro devices.
I must admit I had 5 working until 2.2.3 came along. Now I have none.
Too problematic. They will stay in my goodie draw until I need to use one then I will give it a go.
If I don't get any joy I will go down the Qubino route.
I've already invested in some of these and they are working well using HE's built in drivers.

yeah if i had a choice i wouldn't use fibaro, i don't like how sensitive they are about firmware and getting any details about there kit. The problem is there kit is the best by far, the aeotec stuff is great and i much prefer them as a product and company but their firmware is just not up to scratch. It took them ages to get a calibration for their shutters and there dimmers are just nowhere near the fibaros. The issue for me is the S2 input drives the zigbee lamp in the room, so i have no choice because aeotects dont do anything aside from the dimming issues. If i did it again i would wire inputs to a konnected board for the RGBW lamps and use a zigbee dimmer for the dimmable spots.

I too prefer fibaro over aeotec. I do not use S2 thou and the 3 I have work fab on my C5. Looks like from the above statement not to get a C7 just yet?

1 Like

Ah, thanks, that was it - as I recall I never changed this option for this device/driver combo (or any other, where it's always started enabled), but for some reason it was disabled here. Enable it, and all the driver preferences appeared. :+1:

I'm marking this as a solution, as it has got me past the initial "can't begin to try to get it working" problem, although from what you and others have said there's a lot of fun ahead trying to get the Dimmer 2s behaving properly. :thinking:

One extra question ahead of getting started on that fun, if that's OK...you said:

...could you expand on this?

Not really no, it is just that, the driver doesn't work correctly when the device is join securely. I'm in the process of finding a way to join them with no security now.

Ah, ta - that helps a bit in itself; I hasn't cottoned on to the S0/security connection. FWIW checking the Z-wave list my Dimmer 2's currently connected at/via/with (?) S0, presumably as the default because I'm sticking with those as far as possible at this point.

(In case it caused confusion the "S2" I referred to in my original post was the secondary switch connection for the Dimmer 2, not the security level.)

Yes i knew you were talking about this and so was I, but yes S0 is the security that its capable of joining too.

yes it should be something like this.

but for the S2 input to work we need.

Actually, paying a bit more attention to what I'm seeing:

The light/dimmer's joining with no security, and it's the motion sensor that has S0 security. As far as I've seen, the latter is working correctly.

An element of guesswork here, but the dimmer may not be connecting securely because it has a rather old firmware version (3.05)?

Will keep an eye on these things generally, and try to investigate/contribute/help as best I can...

that's the latest, checked last night.

Ah - never found a list of versions on the Fibaro site itself, but had found the occasional reference to v3.5 on other forums (for example, here and here), some several years old, so had assumed my firmware was significantly older.

yes sorry to be clear 3.05 IS 3.5 it just reads it wrong.

Ta - thanks for clearing that up.

Hi,

I did manage to install and setup Dimmer2 to work on a "Three way" setup (no neutral) using current version of Dimmer2 module and Hubitat hub.
I used the "Basic Z-Wave Tool" driver to inputs the correct Z-Wave parameters which would include (for me)

• parameterNumber:20, size:1, value:1 (Switch Type = toggle switch)
  • parameterNumber:26, size:1, value:1 (Function 3-way switch = enabled for S2)
  • parameterNumber:32, size:1, value:1 (for non dimmable lights)

Found the advices and schema on this page (in French but pictures and automated translation could do the trick)

Hope this help

Could anybody give me a step by step for utilising the S2 switch on the fibaro dimmer 2? I am losing my mind trying to get it to work.....

I'm still using a port from ST which you need to setup, I was hoping a HE driver would be created for it that enabled the S2 button event but looks unlikely. unless @bcopeland has one and he wants to get it working?

How would I go about setting up this port?

Take a look at this driver and import it to the custom driver section.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/erocm123/Hubitat/master/Drivers/fibaro-dimmer-2.src/fibaro-dimmer-2.groovy

I do have this driver but being as novice as I am, I have no idea what I'm actually looking for....