Copying Apps to another hub (c8 to c7) both active

I have a Hubitat C8 but it just doesn't have the radios to reach zigbee sensors in my garage, so they don't update or give status. I have an older C7 I am planning on deploying in the garage, and I do have the two linked. I want to migrate the sensors to the C7, which I can just repair, but I do want to copy the apps and drivers to the c7 from the c8. I'm reading that I just backup the c8 and then restore on the c7? The c7 isn't doing anything at this point, so if I have to wipe/start over with it I can, but I don't want to damage the c8's config. Anything I should be wary of? Is there a better way?

If you do a backup on the C8 and restore to the C7, then ALL your devices and apps would be on the C7, but not controllable. You would have to go through and remove everything not related to these garage sensors.

Why not just pair the sensors to a clean C7, mesh with the C8 and then update your existing rules / apps to point to the meshed devices from the C7?

2 Likes

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying remove the sensors from the C8, repair to the C7, mesh the c7 to the c8 and then have the c8 apps manage the apps/rules?

Yes that would make the most sense to me. Unless you want to run them as two separate hubs not meshed?

I do not. If I don't have to replicate the apps or drivers to get the apps to work, It would be best.

Home hub (the garage in your case) for the devices will need a copy of the driver, but the other hub will not. Apps can be on either and control devices on both if they are shared via HubMesh.

This makes sense to me. I don't think I need special drivers for the garage hub since all of the devices are generic. The special drivers are on the other hub to deal with rules I need.