Controlling unsupported devices via Google Home / Assistant

Hey there,

I just ordered my HE after tinkering for a few months now with the Google Assistant. Of what I've seen so far, is that not every device can be controlled by the HE directly, like the Tradfri switches, so this will, for now, need a work arround. Of what I understood from from the wiki, is that you can allow Hubitat to controll the devices, added to your Home app. Does this include devices, which are not supported directly by HE, as long as they are added to Google Home?
Meaning: As long as I'm not trying to run everything locally, can I still controll my devices in the HE and start creating routines with them, with Google Home as a middleman?

Thank you, for you help. I'm still trying to wrap my head arround everything.

Best

Vincent

I think you have been misled or your misunderstood. I don't know of a way to do what you describe.

You could try the Google Assistant Relay. But it does have some limitations and is a bit of a grind to set up and keep running from my experience. I have a novel solution where I send a TTS to a tablet (that is running a custom dashboard using Fully Kiosk) located right next to a Google NEST display. This means I can tell Fully Kiosk to say anything I want using Rule Machine and the Google Nest hears it perfectly every time and executes the command. Cheating I know, but it works great lol

2 Likes

I think the answer is yes here.. while not every device can be controlled directly by Google Assistant (via Hubitat's Google Home driver) - you can usually work-around the ones that don't.

For example, all "switch" devices can be controlled by Google Home. I had 2 devices that I wanted to control by voice - a Blink XT Camera and an Orbit Hose.. In both cases, the people who wrote these drivers were able to add "switch" capability to their drivers - making them Google compatible! But, if not, you could create a virtual switch and control that with Google -- and then use the Rule Manager to have that virtual switch do whatever you want in Hubitat.

It's not easy to do.. I still have a very limited ability using Rule Manager.. but, there's enough support on these forums that I think I'd be able to do pretty much what I want

that's funny.. i never thought about using Hubitat to relay commands to Google Assistant by playing TTS on a nearby speaker.. but, that's pretty cool that it works!

1 Like

It's not really because unfortunately there is no way to run Google routines from HE (eg, via throwing a virtual switch). So there really is not a lot you can do with devices in Google Home that are not supported via the HE integration. It's frustrating.

It's spooky, but it works every time without fault. I guess one computer can understand the voice from another computer (maybe because it's completely the same every time?) better than a human!

Yeah, maybe I read the original question wrong.. asking how to control unsupported Google devices via Google Home.. instead of how to control supported Google Home devices via Hubitat - the ones that aren't supported in Hubitat in any way.

I do have some devices that aren't supported in Hubitat.. some of the WIFI switches for example. And I hadn't thought of trying to control them via Hubitat but I see how that would be a challenge

1 Like

Yeah exactly, it's this way around that doesn't work right now.... Booooo Goooooogle.

So there really is not a lot you can do with devices in Google Home that are not supported via the HE integration. It's frustrating.

That's really a bummer... Especially with all the Tradfri-stuff. I searched the other threads before I've posted my question and was hoping to find a "off the shelf" solution. :sweat_smile:

Ok, then I've to start tinkering, as soon, as I get my hub. But thank you, for your help.

Keep us posted on how it goes!

1 Like

Not sure after reading your post what it is you want to control exactly. Google and stuff doesn't explain much.

What is it you want to control? Only thing Trådfri that doesn't work are those cheap buttons with the 0 and 1 on them and their motion sensors. Everything else except for those two can be paired to the Hubitat Elevation hub and is controllable.

It is possible to control devices that are one Google Home using Google Assistant Relay, but that's a little advanced. I don't know your skill level, but it is possible. It doesn't give you status of the device, but you can control almost all of the devices that are compatible with Google Home.

Only thing Trådfri that doesn't work are those cheap buttons with the 0 and 1 on them and their motion sensors.

That was exactly one of my problems. As every Tradfri-user I have several of their switches, including the basic dimmer switch (the one with 0 and 1 on it) and their scene switch (the round one, allwong you to dimm and change colors). As far as I've seen it, I assumed both can't be paired with Hubitat.

It is possible to control devices that are one Google Home using Google Assistant Relay, but that's a little advanced.

Yeah, that was mentioned before. I think this will be way over my head right now. :sweat_smile:
I've a life science backround and had never anything to do with computer science so I'm a extreme newb. But thank you for that. I'll try if I can wrap my head arround all this. I'll just be very slow. :smile:

You can do it with Alexa without needing the middle-man. Change teams! :joy:

Right, forgot about that one. Yeah, that doesn't work either.

You can do it with Alexa without needing the middle-man. Change teams! :joy:

Yeah, I just bought all of my Google Home-Stuff. I think I'm going to stick with that for now. :rofl:

1 Like

There is a way. You only need to buy one Alexa capable device. Take your pick. Can even be a Fire Stick.

Needs both clouds working to do the job, but it can be done. I can explain if you’re interested.

That is so cheating, and genius!

1 Like