Controlling split AC Mitsubishi

Hi,

Are there any simple methods for controlling "dumb" split AC systems in hubitat?

We have a bunch of Mitsubishi split ACs throughout our newly constructed home. They're controlled via IR remotes. I have a bunch of broadlink rm4's in various rooms that mimic the remote outputs. I've integrated these into Google Home so I can turn them on/off and adjust temp by voice.

I'd like to have more advanced control in hubitat for things like activating the AC when the temp exceeds a certain threshold with various conditions etc.

Is there any way to do this in hubitat?

I've read the broadlink thread and it sounds like the current RM4 models are cloud based only and don't allow local control. I suppose I could also have hubitat send verbal commands to GH but that seems kinda clunky. Are there currently any IR blasters with direct hubitat integration?

RF controller integration would also be great as I have ceiling fans throughout the house connected to Broadlink Pro

Thanks!

If you are in the US there are Wi-Fi modules you may be able to get for the split system to control the A/C locally. I've been sporadically developing a driver for the Mitsubishi systems across the US, Europe and here in Aus for a while now.

That said, the Wi-Fi option for these can often be more expensive than other options, so it will be worth doing your research. On the flip-side, IR or RF options typically suffer from not providing any feedback on the current state, as far as I know, so it's a trade-off...

What model split-system do you have?

@user32 Remotec ZXT-600 . I use one of these with my LG split...

I thought someone had gotten the RM4 to work locally with the Broadlink app?

Also I could not get the HVAC manager app functional with my Fujitsu devices, so I used the vanilla Broadlink app.

I have five RM3s controlling five dumb Fujitsu mini splits with the deprecated and withdrawn Broadlink app, five virtual thermostats, manually adding some Modes to the virtual thermostats, the old temperature averaging app, 8 sensors that conveniently had temperature readings, my personal MiniSplit app, a whole bunch of IR device command learning time, It was a lot of work, but it's been working well, the units independently turn on and off as needed without intervention. YMMV

I don't know if this works with your specific unit, but Mitsubishi makes a thermostat adapter where you can use a conventional thermostat. You could then use any Ecobee, Honeywell, or similar off the shelf thermostat.

The adapter is a bit costly and you may lose some specific functions. It is limited to the way a normal thermostat would work. But it could be in theory completely local, and you get a real thermostat you put on a wall with no batteries or remotes to lose.

I don't know anything about this company below, other than it came up in a Google search. This is simply an example of the adapter.

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I'm about to install a mini split in my kid's playroom and this will be perfect!

1 Like

2:02 into video

1 Like

Another option would be the use of a Sensibo. It is cloud based, but there is a driver making easy to control splits. I have four Broadlinks R3 Mini working locally and two Sensibos in my home, and I can assure the cheap Broadlinks do exactly the same that the expensive Sensibos.

Thanks for all the advice.

I'll have to dig through the broadlink thread if people have indeed gotten it to work with modified code. That'd be ideal since I already have 3 or 4 rm4 minis and an Rm4 pro.

It is still worth considering whether you can get local feedback using RM4.... e.g. the current mode / set temp. May not be an issue, but in case it is and it is not available via these other methods, you may want to consider Wi-Fi options such as Kumo....

1 Like

I used:

With gysmo38’s version and a Wemos D1 Mini. It provides two way feedback and has been reliable so far.