Control4 -> Hubitat

Just bought a house that had Control4 installed… the seller left it all in shambles so I decided to start over…. First order of business is to get the Kwikset 916 locks online but I can’t seem to do so. Zigbee pairing is successful, but I can’t control them. The logs show “ sourceEndpoint:C4, destinationEndpoint:C4 “… Does this mean they will never be Zigbee compatible with the current boards?
TIA

Control4 Zigbee is not Hubitat compatible. C4 uses the "Zigbee Pro" profile, which is the predecessor to Zigbee 3.0. Hubitat doesn't do Pro and there are no upgrade paths between Zigbee versions.

I also bought a house with C4. How you use it with Hubitat depends on the extent of the C4 installation and how you want the home to work.

C4 is great for AV and Hubitat doesn't really offer anything similar. The current SR260 and Neeo remotes work very well. C4 also has pretty good UI control via its app and T3/T4 panels.

In my own home I have Lutron lighting that works well with both C4 and Hubitat at the same time. I control the lighting using both systems. My automation is in Hubitat.

Zigbee and Z-Wave devices are not really sharable without a ton of effort. It would be nice if someone built an integration between C4 and Hubitat. I think it's possible. But it has not been done. C4 lighting does have an integration to Home Assistant that you can then pass to Hubitat.

Your first step, for better or worse, is to find a C4 dealer. They will get your system functional and provide some guidance. Then I'd suggest purchasing Composer HE. With that software you can program any items that exist in your system. You still need a dealer to add devices to your system, but that's an easy job that you may be able to hire a remote programmer to do.

2 Likes

Thank you bill.d! You just saved me a lot of time… since I’m a life long DIY, my pride (and pocketbook) keep me from calling a Control4 integrator…. Thinking….

1 Like

@user3710

Welcome to Hubitat!

FWIW, the Control4 zigbee module in your Kwikset locks can be replaced with a Hubitat-compatible zigbee (ZHA1.2) or z-wave module.

1 Like

Me too. But C4 is a good system, especially for AV. And the expense isn't too bad if all you are doing is activating/arranging stuff you have.

1 Like

We actually do pro, the issue with C4 is they use custom clusters.

3 Likes

Decided to open up a few of the light switches, only to find that they too are C4…. I would’ve changed my Christmas list had I known this…. :slight_smile:
Appreciate the insight.

1 Like

The C4 lights work well and it's hard to make a case for rip and replace, especially if you have some keypads. If you want to get them into Hubitat then go via Home Assistant. My house had only about 10% smart dimmers, all C4. I ended up ripping and replacing with Lutron dimmers and keypads. Before I did that I used the Home Assistant Device bridge. I would probably not have replaced them if the house was totally set up with C4 controls.

Also note if you have C4 SR260 remotes they run on Zigbee. If you rip and replace you need to pay attention to the Zigbee network. You may need some repeaters depending on where the remote is in relation to where the controller is. I ended up putting one of my replaced dimmers in a metal box and put it under my sink. All it does is repeat, no control of anything.

@mike.maxwell @bravenel I think it would be great if you guys considered developing an IP integration with C4. There's a native to Home Assistant lighting only integration that works well enough. There's also a 3rd party Home Assistant/MQTT integration that seems to be not super well supported these days.

Reading the C4 forums I think there's lots of people who would like to get Hubitat supported devices (Z-Wave, Zigbee (non Pro), IP) into C4. And as a Hubitat user there are some C4 devices I'd like to be able to see in Hubitat. The newest C4 Core controllers have native Z-Wave, but my impression is that the devices they support are limited and may require S2.

The C4 model, while mostly dealer focused, has a level for 'advanced' users that lets them program the system. The dealer is mostly needed only for adding new devices. That software works well enough. The C4 rule engine resembles RM in structure and clicks. But Hubitat's native apps are better (a good C4 lighting app is a 3rd party app and costs $90) and RM is arguably more capable.

I understand that such an integration would be a niche. But C4 users would pay for it - including me. As a frame of reference the most capable Apple Home 3rd party integration app is $250 MSRP.

1 Like

We actually had one running before we launched our first product. The market for this combination is tiny, but the support requirement would be on par with other C-4 systems. Not a good fit for our business, imo.

2 Likes

I am also dealing with a customers home with Control 4 and it is also a mess. I am considering using the Control 4 for audio and replacing the control 4 switches with Lutron Caseta (Diva - Claro version) for all the main lighting and Zigbee for outside lights (timed event) and 100% motion controlled areas. I do need to bring a Control 4 contractor to reset the password and make modifications.

The after market for Control 4 switches is quite strong so I should be able to sell the switches for almost what I pay for the new ones.

Do you have the username and password?

All he left me was the company who set it up…. I’m counting up 12 of these switches, enough that it makes me want to get a quote to have someone come out. That would at leasttake care of the locks and light. As for the a/v, that’s even more of a mess. Nothing but wires left behind.

1 Like

So all you are left with are the dimmers and the locks? Do you have a C4 controller and any AV remote controls?

Your path depends partly on how the AV stuff is wired. Do all the TV zone speaker wires and HDMI connections(either via a HDMI cable or balun+ethernet cables) go back to a central location? If so you will need some centralized controller, and C4 is a good choice. Also, a centralized wiring location can get complicated and a dealer is a good person to help you understand the options. If your TV zone speaker and HDMI wiring is all at the same location of the TVs then you have more choices - most any universal remote will work. Do note that the C4 remotes are really very nice.

For any non-TV audio zones you have options whether or not you use C4. The C4 traditional architecture is to use a matrix receiver and matrix amp. Which work fine. However there are a couple gotchas with C4. The system does not work well with Apple Music - you are limited to AirPlay 1. I believe this is a hardware issue and may change in the future, but only with the newest C4 Core controllers. The Spotify integration is OK, it uses Spotify connect and requires you to use the Spotify app to play specific music. So what I'd suggest you to consider is to use Sonos amps with your existing speakers. Sonos integrates with C4, but is a little like Spotify in the UI limitations. But! you don't have to use the C4 app to run the Sonos system. The Sonos app is great for both Spotify and Apple Music. If you have C4 it will know the running status of the Sonos system. The issue then becomes cost. There is a break-even point between a matrix system and multiple Sonos amps. Anything more than about 6 zones a matrix setup can be cheaper. Also note that there is a fair amount of used C4 equipment available on eBay and sometimes Facebook market. You don't have to buy new from the dealer.

Those companies can be expensive. You might consider removing them and replacing them with Lutron Caseta devices (new Diva/Claro). They will cost about $50 a switch on eBay and you an sell your Control 4 switches for about the same.

That way you a new clean install and do not require anyone to come in?

Just my thoughts?

P.S. That said I am calling in a company for one of my customers who has about 50+ switches. So it is really your choice.

3 remotes…. The speaker wires are for the outside and come to one central location along with the hdmi cables (they were using sound bars every where else except media room)….
Total devices I think I can shed; 3 remotes, 1 C4 controller, 1 C4 amplifier, 12 light switches, 5 kwikset lock chips(?)…
Will look into Sonos (good thought)
Thanks for the help.

Agree, rip and replace is where I’m leaning…. Going to look at the costs and go from there…. And honestly, I just enjoy doing this kinda stuff. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Lutron Caseta with a Smart Hub Pro connected to Hubitat with the new Diva/Claro devices is the way to go. I would set it up with an email that you create just for the house; easy transfer if you sell.

2 Likes

Ikea Symfonisk speakers work well with HE and they have a picture frame speaker that is nice sounding and great for not needing a shelf for placement. They show up as Sonos S2 in the Sonos app and get Sonos firmware updates.

1 Like

Side question, when you viewed the house before buying, was all of this still installed? Was there a condition in the purchase/selling agreement they would be taking all of this with them? If not, that’s likely grounds for compensation from the seller… you’d want to talk to your agent.

The homeowner claimed he was not technical and didn't understand it all. I definitely didn't win on this one...