Control an AppleTV from HE

I'm looking for a way to stop / start an AppleTV from HE. I tried using the Apple TV Remote, but it appears to be abandoned by the developer. Any other suggestions?

Do you use Homebridge to integrate Hubitat with Apple’s HomeKit?

If so, you could expose virtual buttons from HE to Homebridge, then use it to drive automations that you setup in HomeKit to do the Apple TV commands.

2 Likes

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

They just announced that they are discontinuing the product line, but if you can find one, a Harmony hub will expose activities (like watch Apple tv) to HE as virtual switches. Individual device control isn't available natively (like using HE to mute/change the channel) but I think there are some community solutions using a RPi or similar.

1 Like

@pkdaly Thanks very much! It works like a charm. Now need to find a way to automate a browser open + screen mirror in Apple to launch my favourite French News channel...

@nicholas.carl.willia Yes, agreed. I do have a Harmony hub, and yes it does what it's supposed to, but no longer has an apple tool to configure it, and is clearly being pensioned off by Logitech. Looking to build an alternative solution here.

Oh wow, like they discontinued the Harmony app for ios?

No, that still works for now. But the writing is clearly on the wall. The MacOS tool which had much more sophisticated capabilities was discontinued about two years ago. It’s only a matter of time before they pull the plug on the infrastructure that supports the hubs.

Buy an AndroidTV instead?

Sorry, I know....not helpful :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Ha ha, very funny. Actually, it's connected to an LG WebOS OLED TV, so it's kinda Android anyway. I just like to have options... :laughing:

The only ones I have ever used were too slow for my liking. As an example, you can get the TCL TVs in either Android TV or Roku models. The Roku models are quick, fluid, responsive, and a delight to use. The Android TV models are slow, clunky, frustrating beyond belief.

To be fair, I can say the same thing about my Samsung Smart TV, which is a UN55ES7150. When I bought it, everything was decent, but after all the updates, it is a snail, and I will never use the smart features again. I don't think this is an OS issue so much as a hardware issue. Still, the Roku software seems to be more efficient.

1 Like

I agree completely. Last year, I added an Apple TV4K as a homekit controller - this design is like Roku's - responsive, intuitive and quick!

2 Likes

I have Apple TVs as well. I just bought two of the 5th gen Apple TV 4K devices, and I have a 4th gen Apple TV HD (just ordered the new remote for that one). Now that they have full support for HDMI-CEC they integrate flawlessly. Next up on my agenda is to see if I can get the Apple TV remote control protocol to work on Hubitat natively. I doubt I can, but I will start on that soon.

2 Likes

AppleTV. Yuck, no thanks. Very happy with my Sony​ Android​TV, especially powered by the rest API found on this forum which connects it seemlessly to HE. It's perfect.

This is an Apple TV from HE thread.

Just saying...

4 Likes

Ha ha ha, OK then. Just engaging in some typical Apple vs Android fanboi banter. Excuse me. :smiley: