Contacting Someone When Alarm goes off

I'd be interested in this. I tried presence sensors a bunch of different ways over the years, but just was never happy with it. What are you using for it?

Yes, add as device driver and create a virtual device and select this driver.

Sorry. Meant 100/day.

Me?

It looks as though the phone number is charged at a $1 a month, which isn't terrible, but is not really ideal.

Yeah my fault.. forget to hit the reply. It was early.

Twilio charges $1 plus local tax for your own phone number per month and then usage on top which is pennies a use. I personally use it for the important notifications like water detection and pushover for low priority stuff.

@phillypan happy to help you get the Twilio driver setup, I created the original community driver before it because a stock driver. Please let me know what you have tried and I can help.

1 Like

Ok I successfully added the driver and created a virtual device but in the log, each time I try a test message I get the "message queued" but never receive a email. Any idea where to look to resolve this issue?

Twillo is so worth it if you have water/smoke or alarm detectors. Doesn't cost very much and it's not a monthly subscription. I usually top it up every 7 months.

1 Like

I'm at work at the minute. I'll knock something up wed/thu pm... I'm stuck until then. It works really well though =)

Check the delivery logs within Sendgrid. You should be able to see messages that were sent yet might not be delivered.

But I thought we figured out it is a monthly subscription of $1?

Compliments of: @erktrek

Works for me. Do wish I didn't have to worry about any non-secure aspects of using this as per Eric's own admissions. I'm really really really surprised this hasn't made it onto Hubitat's To Do List.

SMTP is a very helpful feature in a number of mission critical boxes I have hanging on my network. I know it's "old school" notification and not a fancy push application. But it's been pretty reliable.

2 Likes

Any suggestion on which email server to use with it?

Just using a 3rd party provider of which there are a few that still allow the type of connection necessary.

Agreed, IFTTT is a cloud service. But so is email, and any app that requires your phone to have a data connection. I live in Canada and sometimes I am in an area where the only service I can get is telephone. No internet, no data on the mobile phone just good old telephone. I use IFTTT phone call service as a messaging system with my hub. I am not so worried that their cloud service will go down, but much more worried that I will be in a location where only phone service is available.
It works good, probably a 3-5 second delay between the condition that activates the rule for my hub to send a message to IFTTT and my phone ringing.

1 Like

I'm not adept at Hubitat drivers and such. How would I go about setting up IFTTT on my system?

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=IFTTT_Integration

This would be a great help but the website isn't there anymore.

Then you’ve got bigger problems if you can’t reach the docs.hubitat.com Website.

1 Like