Contact sensors - open vs closed - "reversable interpretaton option" in built-in drivers?

I've run across threads discussing reversing the interpretation of a contact sensor but I don't think I've seen an explicit request to add that as an option in the built-in drivers. I believe there are some Custom Drivers that allow this.

I can't be the only one that's ever ended up with a magnet/sensor mounting configuration (or remote wiring of a secondary contact) that reports OPEN (as it should per the electronics) when in actuality the physical door/window/hatch/pressure-sw is CLOSED due to the way the contact is being used.

To date I handle the logic within the rule...but yeah, it's confusing when someone looks at the Device's page. I can live with this if it really is a "one off" use case....but I can't believe other's haven't ended up wishing they could flip the interpretation of the state.

@mike.maxwell

2 Likes

There would certainly be use cases for the ability to invert open/close the Zigbee and Z-Wave generic contact sensors.

Tagging @bcopeland as well for Z-Wave sensors… :blush:

1 Like

For now you can eaisly change the mapping using a custom mirror instance:

7 Likes

Houdini hath no deeper bag of tricks.

Didn't know about that ! Thanks.

2 Likes

Mike I gotta come back and give some feedback...

Having gone down the Mirroring path suggested ...I gotta say I'm still wishing I could of just changed the state interpretation of Open to Closed, and Closed to Open right in the Driver.

It's would offer less complexity & confusion when you start using this flipped state everywhere.

So I hope it's doable and on your long term To Do List.

Thanks.

1 Like

And it has the added advantage of showing other attributes in a dashboard tile (Ex.: battery %)

1 Like

I have a z-wave tilt sensor on my mailbox. Open is closed and closed is open. It does get confusing when writing rules.

1 Like

Yeah, even using the Mirror App I'm going through correcting some mistaken misinterpretations with a new rule I had just set up yesterday that isn't behaving as it should this evening.

I use an Ecolink DWZWAVE2.5-ECO with the following contact switch to “flip” the states: Magnetic Reed Switch NC NO COM

It's actually a tilt sensor, and I have no power at the mailbox.