Contact Sensor NC/NO - Understanding status in HE

Hi - I used the specs in the attached to create a similar device to monitor power outages.

The components are:

1. Ecolink Contact Sensor - using the "external" contact
  2. Zooz ZAC98 NC/NO Relay
  3. External plug 120V AC to 12V DC

I wired the plug to the 12V NC terminals on the Zooz Relay and the NC contacts on the Relay side to the external terminals on the Ecolink Contact Sensor.

Everything appears to be working except that the contact sensor status is the opposite of what the specs say

The sensor will display as an open / close device. It will remain "closed" as long as power is present at the receptacle. Once there's an outage, the sensor will send an "open" alert to your hub.

In my case, the sensor shows "Open" when the plug is connected to power and "Closed" when I disconnect it. Does this make a difference? All I need is a trigger to tell me when power goes out and when it comes back on, but I wasn't sure if there was any impact on battery life if "NC" is showing as "Open".

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Shouldn't be any effect on battery life of the Ecolink. If you want it to be the opposite, just move your connection to the other relay on the Zooz device.

2 Likes

Thanks! The strange thing is that I have another Ecolink Contact sensor (for my mailbox) that is connected to magnetic reed switches and that reports correctly (closed when mailbox is closed, open when it is opened). I wonder if I connected it to the NO terminal on the reed switch :thinking:... will need to check but this should work as is since all I need is a trigger.

1 Like