Constantly getting Z-Wave Network responded with Busy message

Ok this is getting ridiculous. I have rebooted my hub at least 6 times today now. Trying to troubleshoot some driver stuff and either while doing that or trying to exclude / include devices I keep getting stuck with this and usually end up just rebooting to make it work again. I am no way flooding it with commands and I only have like a dozen devices connected. The error at the bottom here I was trying to add a device, got the prompt for the security and S2 was checked, hit save (or whatever the button says). Then nothing came up in the Found devices and it timed out, device was not added.

Hubitat C7 on current firmware.

2021-01-09 06:53:31.020 pm warn Z-Wave Network responded with Busy message.
2021-01-09 06:53:31.013 pm info Z-Wave Exclude Stopped
2021-01-09 06:53:28.581 pm warn Z-Wave Network responded with Busy message.
2021-01-09 06:53:25.582 pm warn Z-Wave Network responded with Busy message.
2021-01-09 06:53:22.580 pm warn Z-Wave Network responded with Busy message.
2021-01-09 06:53:19.581 pm warn Z-Wave Network responded with Busy message.
2021-01-09 06:53:16.581 pm warn Z-Wave Network responded with Busy message.
2021-01-09 06:53:13.581 pm warn Z-Wave Network responded with Busy message.
2021-01-09 06:53:10.581 pm warn Z-Wave Network responded with Busy message.
2021-01-09 06:53:07.581 pm warn Z-Wave Network responded with Busy message.
2021-01-09 06:53:04.581 pm warn Z-Wave Network responded with Busy message.
2021-01-09 06:53:01.597 pm warn Z-Wave Network responded with Busy message.
2021-01-09 06:53:01.565 pm warn Z-Wave device id: 28 failed S2 bootstrapping - - Bootstrapping was successful - the device needs to be excluded then included again to use securely.
2021-01-09 06:53:01.031 pm warn Z-Wave Network responded with Busy message.

What device where you pairing when you got the "failed S2 bootstrapping" error?

Zooz ZEN30 Double Switch Firmware 1.07
I just rebooted again, going to run a full ZWave repair and see if everything else is functioning.

EDIT After rebooting I see I have some ghost devices. Going to try and get rid of those reboot again then see if things will cooperate.

Try a shutdown (from Settings), then disconnect power (ideally from the wall if you're concerned about fragility of the micro-USB port as some are, though technically it doesn't matter) and leave it that way for at least 30 seconds or so. Then, reconnect power to restart.

The idea behind this is to totally power off the Z-Wave radio. A reboot alone won't do this (though I thought they had made changes recently that should help it recover when it gets stuck in a state like you report), and this is a solution often suggested in the early days of the C-7 that usually helped.

Good luck!

Yeah I just remembered that about the shutdown I had read elsewhere after I rebooted and instantly was getting the busy messages again. Was already doing it when I saw your reply :slight_smile:

Lets see if this does the trick.

Seems to be better for now. Maybe the trick was after the first time I was getting the busy messages I should have done the full shut down. Hopefully this can be improved with the next firmware?

I am still having issues. Is there a way to see what is possibly bogging down the hub? Would be nice if I could see a process tree or networking info to troubleshoot. Not sure if it is a problematic device, app or driver possibly? Or just the hub itself.

Keep running into issues where some devices stop responding and then it seems like everything goes haywire, and eventually nothing will respond so I am now doing a shutdown and restart to fix it. Second time today.

Keep in mind I am coding and testing a driver, so a bunch of ZWave command are flying around. Seems like it works totally fine for a while though, then all of a sudden it starts acting up.

I've started seeing these error messages too. One or two times every day or so...

Z-Wave Network responded with Busy message.

There's nothing else showing up in the logs around the same time. I don't have any ghost devices, and I took a look at app and driver stats. The highest utilization comes from Echo Speaks but it's still about 2.5% of "Percentage of uptime spent on each app." If I add up all the CPU time for all the apps it's under 8%. 8% total cpu utilization does not seem excessive. I have rebooted and that does not seem to have much effect. The zwave network seems to be working fine, wondering if this is something that can be safely ignored?

Have you tried the full shut down as suggested above? Now that I am not adding new devices the mesh is pretty stable and I have not been having any other issues. Or possibly they have fixed some of it with firmware updates.

I'll give that a shot. I was kind of hoping to discover what was triggering the issue but if that makes it go away that works too!

Juts an update... I did follow the procedure you suggested but I am still seeing the errors. Not frequently... maybe once or twice a day. I just noticed a zwave firmware update available but when I went to apply the update it said the firmware was up to date, so I'm guessing that's not it. I do have a Zooz -in-1 sensor in the network. I think I may remove it as a next step.

Do you have any sensors or power metering devices that might be sending excessive amounts of reports back to the hub?

Not that I'm aware, though I may not know how to determine that. I don't use any power metering devices. Most of my zwave devices are motion sensors, contact sensors, or zwave plugs, along with a couple of Ring keypads. None of those would seem to generate a lot of activity. The timing of the errors seems pretty random, with most of them in the wee hours. When I look at device activity the top offenders are definitely not zwave. The Zooz 4-in-1 does seem suspect based on other posts I've read but I cant see any direct evidence of it, though I may just not know where to look. I've taken it out of service. It was being used inside a pantry to determine when the pantry door opened. Doesn't seem like that would generate much but who knows.

Interestingly enough since I removed my Zooz 4-in-1 (known to cause ZWave congestion) this error has not recurred.

Aaaand Z-Wave Network responded with Busy message is back again. Still once or twice a day and does not seem to affect much but it is puzzling.

I have just started getting Z-Wave Network responded with Busy message no more than once a day. As far as I know all devices are connected, and the last time I removed one, I did it properly. Is there something I should do at this point to prevent it getting worse, or just continue to turn a blind eye?

Once per day is probably not much for concern.. A busy message is only related to Z-Wave Network Management commands.. Most of the time they are from nothing more than clicking through things that require management sessions too quickly, as in before the prior one finished up.

4 Likes