Consolidated Log App?

Can anyone share their preferred method for viewing a log of events, such as when specific lights turning on/off, doors open and close, etc? I know I can pull this down in each devices history, but wondered if there was a preferred way to see all the events (or specific groups of events like lights) occurring in one log or app?

Thanks!

I just use the "Logs". If I'm working on something I'll keep a live log window open to see what's going on. Anything prior to that "Show Past Logs". Click on any app or device and that's all you will see in either log.

The Logs page is all we get by default. However, many of us export our logs via NodeRed to an external database (MySQL, Influx, etc). I wrote a HOWTO on it awhile back.

It seems daunting at first, but once you build it, you really don't need to touch it again and then you can do all sorts of things like export your logs to Excel spreadsheets (@stephack is the one to ask about doing that) or other text formats or just query MySQL directly.

See this section of the NodeRed thread for info on exporting to csv and importing into Excel.

1 Like