Considering switching from Vera

Then yes, it’s really local.

I switched from Vera (LONG time user) about 3 months ago. It took me literally more time to get the device on the network and the switches paired than it did to replicate all of the rules and customizations I had configured under Vera.

I moved to the HE because of the dashboards, since Vera is pretty lacking, however the number of supported devices, custom drivers and integration with pretty much every device in my house, the HE beats the Vera in terms of supportability, interoperability and ease of use hands down. The presence, security and the power of the rules automation is nothing short of amazing.

My wife HATED doing anything with automation when we had the Vera. I created her a custom dashboard for the few things she cares about, put the app on her phone and she loves it. That alone was a huge testament to it's superiority over the Vera.

Oh, and yes, 100% local if you don't use any IFTTT or Alexa integration.

3 Likes

One possible problem: I read that it had to be connected to the router via cable. Is that really true? We connect to our router over wi-fi. But if it needs to be physically connected to the router that would rule it out as our router is not in a convenient location.
Also, there were many negative comments about the complexity of installing it and the requirement for programming experience (I have that.)

You can get a wifi dongle and connect it that way. It isn't included with the hub however.

I have been using Hubitat successfully for well over a year now, and I have zero programming experience or knowledge. I am pretty technically inclined though. (ie, been messing around with tech since the days of DOS). It's not something I would expect someone who struggles with technology to be able or willing to figure out. But if you actually have programming experience you should be fine.

1 Like

A USB Wifi dongle?

4 Likes

I understand why the reviews say it is very complicated.

Not really that complicated, just a y-cable and a usb wifi …

2 Likes

I said before that I was ok with programming but I’m not confident about hardware. Does using a y-cable require 2 power sources?

Just the 1 that comes with the hub. Basically just a power line extension with a spur to accept the Wifi USB.

The amount of things you decide to connect to the HE and the level of automation will increase the complexity \ difficulty level, but honestly it's a very easy transition. I was able to use the Basic rules (eg. turn off \ on lights at X time, or after X minutes) to replicate everything I was doing with my Vera. If you were able to setup and maintain the Vera, you can handle the HE.

The great part is that you can move on to the complex stuff once you're comfortable, it's not required right out of the gate. Yes, there's some learning curves, but I suspect you encountered the same thing when you tried to setup triggers, scenes etc.. on the Vera. With the HE its actually easier.

2 Likes

I switched from Vera Plus about 3 years ago and I'm happy I did. At that time my motivator was: The Vera Plus would not run any timed automations without the internet. It seems the Vera Plus would run but there was not internal clock so it didn't run anything needing a time trigger. I was really pissed because prepurchase I asked the question and was told the Vera Plus would run w/o internet.

I now have a Hubitat C7 (started with a C4).
The Hubitat hubs do not have a traditional RTC. But it will keep time without the internet albeit not as accurate as a dedicated RTC. In my case I don't care if my lights go on at 8:00:00 or 8:00:32.
If you loose power the internal clock is lost. You will need to reset it by hand or reconnect to the internet after power is restored.
For this an other reasons an small battery backup is recommended.

Of course any device connected to the Hub via the internet will not be able to be controlled. So Echo will not work through the Hub (and vice versa) without the internet. But all Zigbee, Z-Wave and local WiFi will still operate.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

The hub can run completely independent of internet or router connections, however it cannot run any cloud dependent devices/apps (alexa,google,ifttt, etc) without being connected. There are many other ways as pointed out above to connect to the router other than direct with a cable, there are also wifi-lan adapters. Having it connected to the router isn't required for operation, but you will want it connected to the router or else you won't be able to get hub updates with new device drivers, apps and features that routinely are added.

The hub is not complex at all to set up. I was a D student with no programming experience at all and have 3 hubs set up running like a dream for 3 years now. I left Vera to come here because Vera was extremely too complex for me.

3 Likes

I switched from Vera to and dont regret it. So go for it! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

I’m probably not going to because of the additional cables and dongle. That adds to the cost. I’d prefer to see if I can block the internet traffic.

$15.50…. But you are correct.

Is that the cost for both the Y cable and a Wifi dongle? I am not impressed that Hubitat doesn’t provide wifi and Vera does.
I don’t object to paying a bit more but I don’t like the lack of support.

Eh, vendors can never win.

I don't like paying for the wifi chip in most devices, as I usually use Ethernet for everything. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Most legitimate forms of systems that market themselves as partial "home security" usually don't allow their equipment to rely on a wireless signal, they are hard wired.

However it is noted you pointing out the "pluses" of Vera while simultaneously shopping around to leave Vera. As well as trying to make sense out of these two sentences.

1 Like

:joy: