Considering developing drivers for Wyze devices

Hey air-body. I created a "Release Thread" in the more appropriate forum. Feel free to move discussion over there: [RELEASE] WyzeHub - Wyze Device Integration (no cams yet)

1 Like

I proceed to the new thread after this but just to close the loop here...

The python package, they refer to it as an SDK

I have both V2 and V3. I got the power on/off to work, didn't realize you had hard coded the model in the driver. Using the model number associated with the V2 camera, I can toggle power on both versions as well as see the event recording settings.

I will do that, still going to test the driver a bit before submitting a pull request.

Ah gotcha. I was hopeful there were some Hubitat dev tools I was missing, ha.

There may be a better way. Could maybe store the possible drivers for a device type in an array. And then store the actual device model somewhere in the device data when adding the device.

It seems most of the time Wyze just ignores whatever you send as the model anyway. They require the value but seemingly ignore it. I was sending this_is_required_but_value_does_not_matter as the model for a bit :wink:

Randomly scanned through this thread, nice license at the top of your code :slight_smile: For some reason I can't remember seeing it as an option in GitHub....

Likely because GitHub isn't the authoritative source for licensing :wink:

It's a fun license. I generally like MIT over Apache ... but DBAD is definitely appropriate for these types of scenarios.

https://dbad-license.org/

2 Likes

Problem is, you still have to keep these cameras connected to the cloud or they will not stream locally either. That's a major hell-no from me, dawg.

Initially responded to check the GitHub package but I see that's what you're referring to. My understanding was the package referenced in the earlier post would potentially allow for local-only RTSP streaming?

The RTSP firmware allows for local only streaming, and IFAIK so does the wrapper software...but you still have to give the camera internet access. Blocking it turns these things into paperweights. I just tested this yesterday.

Were you able to tell what it's talking to and what data it needs back? I wonder if it would be as simple as faking DNS locally.

Based on other people's attempts, it needs a proper check in with the cloud. I gave up and I'm returning them.

I don't know about others, but having integration with Wyze hall effect sensors and motion sensors would be nice.