Connecting Zwave Repeater's to multiple hubs

I have a zwave repeater attached to my Habitat. I just recently purchased a Ring Security system and it came with an additional zwave repeater. I connected it to my Ring base station. I have 1 repeater on each floor. Is there a way to connect each repeater to both hubs, and just have lots of repeating going on?

No, there isn't.

2 Likes

If it's not possible to connect 1 repeater to two different hubs, does it matter? Meaning will a zwave repeater just repeat any zwave commands it finds in the air, regardless of what hub sent it? The goal is to just make sure the network doesn't have signal holes.

1 Like

this explains why my smartthings devcies were still working while i was dismanteling the net to connect all devices to hubitat.. I wondered about that..

1 Like

Far as I know, that won't work either. Once you join a repeater to a hub, it can only act upon that hubs signals.

1 Like

No. They will repeat for the specific z-wave network that the repeater is joined to.

4 Likes

no i belive the guy above is correcyt.. a repater repeats.. doenst need to be connected to the hub at all to work.. To control it and check status etc you need to connect to the hub. But i belive he is correct it just repeats what it hears.. In fact some of my older non zwave plus switches had the light flash when repeating and i could tell they were still working even when the hub they were connected to was gone.

Yeah, I'm getting another response from a friend who said he "believes" zwave repeaters are blind and will repeat any zwave signal. Hmmmm.

I don't believe this is correct.

Just open up a zwave sniffer and look at the traffic, and I expect that you will see that what you said is not correct.

1 Like

Nope.

1 Like

Thanks Jason. I don't have a zwave sniffer, but if you do I will assume you are correct! Each network is on its own and if there are holes, I will need to add more repeaters for each network. I haven't noticed any signal holes yet in my network, but I will keep that in mind if I see problems.

1 Like

No worries!

I have 5 zwave networks in my house right now (1 production, 4 for testing) and I assure you I have NEVER seen a device on one mesh repeat for another mesh. And I (typically) log all traffic 24/7... :slight_smile:

I will say that the C-7 hub seems to have a longer range than my old C-4 hubs do. Things that used to need a repeater when on my C-4 now go straight to the hub. So it does seem like some of the zwave 700 range benefits are true (at least in some cases).

6 Likes

Do you have 5 separate zwave frequencies? You may think of it as 5 mesh's or subnets but there is one network.

I think we are arguing semantics.

A frequency != a network.

I guess if you consider multiple vlans all one network, then it would be one network I guess. :man_shrugging:

1 Like