Connect starlink

I have a new hub and starlink how do I connect to starlink? I have the starlink Ethernet connector. Do have to have a router.?

I believe the Hubitat needs to connect. by ethernet. If the new generation of Starlink routers is the same as the old it only has one ethernet port so you may need a different router, or at least a switch. Interesting enough, the Starlink router isn't a modem like we think of with cable and dsl. You can throw that POS away and plug your dish directly into a real router and it works.

I’m not that familiar with how Starlink users connect wired Ethernet devices in their homes. Or how IP addresses are assigned to wired and wireless devices. But this article seems helpful for those that want to use their own router with a starlink terminal.

It appears as though starlink comes with a router. Do you have any other wired Ethernet devices in your home? Or does everything connect with WiFi?

It’s possible to connect Hubitat to a LAN with a wifi dongle,

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Network_Setup

If your start link router only has one port, then you will need a switch. Connect the switch to the port on the starlink unit and everything else into the switch.

The Starlink "modem" portion is build into the power adapter or it just doesn't need it maybe, I don't know. What I was trying to say is any router can be connected directly to the Starlink system without their POS router.

According to that article I found, there are two generations of the starlink base station and associated router. The earlier gen will work without the router, for the newer gen it needs to remain connected but with the router in bridge mode. Or so it says, seems like a reliable enough source but I can’t speak from personal experience.

Edit: as @rlithgow1 said, if it has an Ethernet port and it’s already acting as the router/DHCP server etc for your LAN, then all the OP would need is a simple network switch to add a device like Hubitat (and if there are no devices plugged into the starlink router’s Ethernet port, Hubitat could presumably connect directly).

1 Like

Well done, I wasn't sure about the newer generation router.

As the Hubitat doesn't transfer much back/forth via the Internet, what about using a WiFi adapter on the Hubitat itself?

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Network_Setup#WiFi_Adapter_setup