Confusing Lingo in Simple Automation

Is this a bug or just a semantic thing? I have this Simple Automation rule set up to automatically turn the fireplace fan on 5 mins after the fireplace is turned on and turn off after the fireplace is turned off. For the off part, it's labeled as "Turn lights off when turned off", but in this case, it's not a light. If this is generic for all rules, I'd suggest changing it to "Turn switch off when turned off". Unless I'm missing something?

Also, as a side note, since this fireplace is controlled by a button and a wall switch, I made this simple automation rule so it works no matter where the fireplace was turned on from. Is this the recommended way of accomplishing what I'm trying to accomplish here?

Thanks!

1 Like

The way its written it will.also turn on when the other one turns off OR on.
Separate it into two rules.one for on and one for off..or use regular rule machine with a changed trigger and an if to check on or off.

So, Simple Automation Rules used to be called Simple Lighting, and, as you can imagine, that was the use case it was geared towards. Its functionality was expanded over time until they decided to change the name to reflect this. Apparently, you found one part of the UI that still reflects the original intent. No need to worry, however, as it is generic to all switches and not specifically lights.

Also, to clarify the above, your rule will only turn the light on when the other one turns on--not when it turns on or off. I assume this claim comes from the "Switches turned on or off" selection in the UI, but that's how you do it; the "Turned on when...turned on" thing later is what configures what it actually responds to. And on this note, Basic Rule is a newer app introduced with a flow that is likely more in line with how most users think when creating this type of automation, and it's likely none of these two points of confusion would be encountered with it. :smiley: No need to change what you're familiar with, but if you feel like considering something new next time...

1 Like

Makes sense and thanks for the detailed reply!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.