Conexis Lock with z-Wave and Yale Home App

I have several Conexis locks with the z-wave module installed connected to my Hubitat c8. Using Homebridge the locks are visible in HomeKit.

I was concerned that with the change to use the Yale Home app, which requires the use of the Yale Home module I would no longer be able to use the z-wave module.

I have a working solution so thought I’d share.

I received a Yale Home module. Removed the z-wave module and reset the lock. I then inserted the Yale Home module and configured it with the Yale Home app. The app then updated the locks firmware. This was a blessing as it updates the outdoor sensor so the rain doesn’t keep setting it off (no more annoying beeps).

Once updated I then added the users and the tags/cards one by one. Once all the tags/cards were added I locked the door and then removed the Yale Home module and inserted the z-wave module.
Note: you need to remove a battery before removing or reinserting a module.

The lock was back on the z-wave network, has new firmware, and has the tags/cards working.

If I ever need to remove or add a card/tag I swap the modules and use the Yale Home app. Once done I make sure I lock the door and swap the modules back.

If you want to migrate completely to the Yale Home app but still see the locks in HomeKit I used the Yale Connect WiFi Bridge and connected this to the SmartThings app and then used the SmartThings plugin in HomeBridge. The locks work perfectly but you are using a cloud service rather a completely on-prem solution, you obviously lose the z-wave connection doing this too. Since I set this up to test, this is why I always made sure the lock was locked before removing the Yale Home module, otherwise SmartThings keeps telling you lock is unlocked.

I couldn’t get the locks to work with the August plugin. To be honest this was because it wasn’t clear how to set it up.

Anyway I have a working z-wave solution that does not rely on the cloud. Although it takes a few minutes to change the module, I rarely need to do this unless one is lost or a new one needs to be added.

2 Likes