Commercial Grade Z-Wave Dimmer

Does anyone know where I can find some Commerical Grade Z-Wave dimmers? I've found a GE Enbrighten commercial grade switch, but am looking for dimmers, preferably paddle type, not toggle.

These will be used to replace existing dimmers in the elementary room at my church.

As long as you keep the load within the specs a consumer grade switch might be okay too.. GE Enbrightens seem to be good for this kind of thing..

This mentions "commercial grade" in the details but dunno :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Wasn't aware there was such a thing (a physically different "commercial build" Z-Wave switch/dimmer). Might help if you can share what Commercial Grade means in terms of a Z-Wave Dimmer. Is this more about commercial grade support (e.g., overnight turn-around on replacements from the switch manuf.) or does this mean a dimmer that is actually a different build than a "normal" residential dimmer?

In my admittedly tiny experience in this area (friend used to do electrical maintenance for a couple of small to mid-sized companies) is that he said he used the same switches used in residential homes, but his contract w/his clients specified a "same day" fix/replacement for any switches that went south...that quick turn-around was the "commercial" difference, at least in his case.

1 Like

My guess was higher load capacity? Greater tolerance for various Lighting types - fluorescent/incandescent/LED/Halogen etc..

2 Likes

Yes, that is possible...for specific applications related to controlling heavy-duty equipment (I mean stuff well outside of home needs), etc. But I've never seen anything like that for sale (admittedly never looked for it). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Me either - I wonder if commercial smart relays are a thing?

1 Like

That is the one I was looking at. The Amazon listing didn't mention the commercial grade, but it's good to see it on the ByJasco site.

1 Like

What do you mean by "commercial grade"? I ask because the church I attend has a three-phase supply, and everything I've seen is 277 volts.

Nothing is smart - there are a few old timer switches. But they recently did a lighting upgrade where all fluorescent tubes were replaced with LED tubes, and all the discarded ballasts were all 277VAC ballasts.

Our electrician said that it's based on the construction of the switches and outlets. They are built sturdier and less prone to failure. Essentially they are designed to last longer, and the housings are made, so it takes more for any arcing to breach the encasement. The design also goes through more stringent testing than household/residential switches and outlets.

2 Likes

GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Smart Switch with QuickFit and SimpleWire, In-Wall Toggle Commercial Grade 120/277 VAC, 43074

https://byjasco.com/ge-enbrighten-z-wave-commercial-grade-wall-smart-toggle-switch-quickfit-and-simplewire

They make these toggles, but not dimmers from what I can tell. However, someone makes smart switches for 277V, our building has smart switches that look very much like Levitons.

2 Likes

After going to swap the light switches, I learned that Commercial in this case, really means that the dimmer is 0-10V controlled. Like like Jasco has one coming soon. The existing 0-10V dimmers won't work as they are separate modules and not wall switches.

1 Like