Comment box for devices

Feature request: comment box for devices.

After over a year with Hubitat, I have way too many physical and virtual devices. (That’s not a complaint!) I’ve created virtual devices to test, kept many for particular reasons I don’t remember, apps create devices, etc. I have long descriptive names, but they are long! :slightly_smiling_face:

Requesting a way for a free form notes field as to what it is, why it might have been created, the logic in its use, reminder to NOT delete or rename, whatever. Similar to notes for many apps.

(Reposted from Facebook)

Additional note: the Notes app is great for the example of battery type for a group of devices, but not useful for a per device note.

2 Likes

@neerav.modi look at [RELEASE] Custom Device Note App

2 Likes

Please elaborate. The app doesn't care if you do 1 device or 100, and if you want to do it one device at a time switching devices inside the app should be faster than exiting a device page and bringing up another.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I don't understand the basis for your statement.

BTW - there is a single device version that gives you all of the data items for a device: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thebearmay/hubitat/main/apps/devDataEdit.groovy

1 Like

It is, It's a matter of not understanding how the note app works. My experience has been that I put a note in a device and close it out. I go in to another device to put a note in. The information from the last device (and the last device itself if I don't remember to uncheck it) are all still there. I cant tell you how many times I have put the wrong info in the wrong device because of this. I'm not faulting the app. I just need to get used to how it works and work with it some more. It's a little confusing until you figure out how it works.

In my notes I usually include the device and battery install dates, type and number of batteries needed and a link to the device manual in my OneDrive (I really wish that could be a clickable link but it still serves its purpose as is).