[COMING SOON] HubConnect Automatic.com Vehicle Tracking Client (HubConnect not req’d)

Only their first generation adaptor required that. The second and third gen adaptors had 2G and 3G connectivity built in. They also have a published cloud API (I think).

It should... I have the older Gold Pro model. But it uses their official (and only) API.

It depends on your adapter. I have one of the later (but not latest) 3G stand-alone adapters so it will transmit behicle status without the phone being present. I've noticed that ignition switch status takes about a minute form the time the vehicle starts until it is reported to the Automatic app, and about 1-2 seconds after that Hubitat receives the notification.

The driver has a switch capability that updates based on the ignition switch status if the adapter reports it.

1 Like

And that's what this is built around... http://developer.automatic.com/

1 Like

Just awesome. Have the Gold Pro adaptors right now, but not sure how much longer they'll work with 2G ending.

I was debating whether to get the new blue adaptors (when old ones stop working) because their IFTTT integration now requires a monthly fee ....

Thanks for the answers.
Sound Like an interesting device likely will not work in Canada if using it's own 3g data network.

Right now using Life360 on our cell phones which has some of the same features and an Xbee3 as a prescence sensor plugged into the car's usb to indicate if the car starts (at home) to open the garage door when I get close or open the garage door if the car is started in the garage with the doors closed.
Automatic would be able do all this and alot more if I was able to get it here.

So this Automatic is a one time fee purchase? I would buy 2 if that the case. Thanks

( I read the page but I did not see any recurring fees)

I believe it is $5 a month after the free 6 month trial.

2 Likes

I have the older Pro... Those were promised unlimited free service, which they then put a limit of 5 years on, but then said they might not force people to pay.. I honestly don't know what they are doing now but there are still a few of the older units on ebay.

I've had mine for 3 years as of this month so I shouldn't have to worry for a couple more.

Considering SmartThings charges $5 a month for their silly tracking tag, and offers nothing of value, I would still gladly pay $5/mo when the 5 year term expires. You can do heat maps, export trip waypoints and some other cool stuff with Automatic.

1 Like

Two of mine turn three in April. The third in August. I thought they used T-Mobile's 2G network, and would stop working when T-Mobile turned it off later this year.

But I think I was incorrect and they use 3G instead.

You're correct - when you consider the utility, $5/mo is well worth it. I was just spoiled by the pay once model with the Automatic Pro.

I have 2 of the latest models and I believe they are 4g network. Don't remember the color.

Looking forward to this app.

I know we've talked about vehicle tracking. The other great thing these things do is vehicle diagnostics (gettting OBD-II codes). And you can reset codes as well. Very recently, this helped me track down and fix an issue with my hybrid.

I got to wondering about my subscription. Realized I was well past the 6 month free trial. And everything was still working. Found this on Automatic's web site:

Premium subscriptions have been extended indefinitely. All customers will be reached out to once it's time to choose a plan and make a monthly subscription payment.

2 Likes

Might need to change that from netatmo...

2 Likes

Any update?

Any update?

1 Like

Got this e-mail today .....

Like many other companies in the United States, the COVID-19 pandemic has adversely impacted our business, and we have made the difficult decision to discontinue the Automatic connected car product, service, and platform. This decision to cease operations affects all Automatic services, including our automatic crash notification service. We will be shutting down all operations at 11:59 pm, PT, on May 28, 2020 and, as a result, your Automatic service will end on that time.

We know you have questions, and we’ve included answers to a few of those below.

What will happen with my driving and personal data?
You may continue to sync driving and personal data with your account until we cease operations on May 28, 2020 . In addition, your driving data will be available for you to retrieve until June 28, 2020 via the Automatic Dashboard located here . For detailed instructions on exporting your driving data, please check the Customer FAQs .

After June 28, 2020 , your data will no longer be available to you. Automatic may retain some data about you solely for legal, accounting or other corporate records. All other driving and personal data will either be made anonymous or deleted from our system.

Am I eligible for a rebate for the Automatic service that I purchased?
Customers who purchased an Automatic adapter may be eligible for a rebate of funds paid to Automatic or an Automatic distributor for unused service. Rebate eligibility requirements can be found in the Customer FAQs . Rebate requests can be submitted until June 15, 2020 through the Rebate Request Form .

What should I do with my Automatic adapter?
Please unplug your Automatic adapter from your vehicle no later than May 28, 2020 and discard it by following standard electronic recycling procedures.

1 Like

Got the same email. What's a decent replacement?

Edit: my immediate solution is going to be to use a SmartThings arrival sensor powered by 2xAA batteries .....

Got that notice also. Kinda stinks. I have 2 units.

Use an Xbee3 pro as a presence sensor and plug it into a usb port on your car so it only powers on when the car is running. Works great for opening garage doors on arrival or as a safety device if your car starts with the garage doors closed.
Much farther range than a SmartThings arrival sensor.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.