Coming over from SmartThings

One of my biggest issues is the lack of the power attribute on switch tiles. I've got over 50 SmartPlugs total and use the power usage readings now and then to confirm things are working properly. I now have to define 2x tiles for those devices.

I'll second that.

You can layer tiles on top of tiles. So those are image tiles with switch tiles stacked on top. Then changed the switch tile template to be transparent when on and opaque when off.

How do you get image tiles? Do you have to create them with specific dimensions?

You add image tiles like any other tile, except there's no need to pick a device, just the image template. Then you paste in the URL of your image. The tricky part is finding (or modifying and rehosting) an image that fits the size of the tile you want. Until we get the ability to choose fill/stretch type options, the image gets resized every time the tile size changes. It's also a PITA to layer the tiles, you have to create them in the right order since there's no way to "send to back"....the newer tile always goes on top. So lots of planning and/or rework, but still doable.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. Quite useful

Quick update... I've hit the halfway point with 205 of 408 devices migrated off of ST onto HE. I've focused exclusively on Zigbee devices at this point except Iris plugs and for 3 GE in-wall devices for testing. Most devices have paired without any issue. The exception is that some of my oldest Iris contact sensors put up a good fight but everything else has been fairly easy.

3 Likes

My Monoprice in-wall relay was a Dragonball Z style fight.
I was so frustrated trying to get that thing to be excluded properly...
Two very confused little children as to why I was flashing the light so rapidly and getting so frustrated... Not HE's fault by any means.

I've got to ask... but how on EARTH did you get to 400 devices?

I thought I was a little out of control with 120+ lights, and probably another 50 other devices around the place... but I can't really imagine how I could do the same again without buying a Mansion first :wink:

-- Jules

2 Likes

It all depends on house size. He can own a building full of apartments :joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

Itā€™s taken over 4 years to get to this point, but itā€™s not that hard. For example, Iā€™ve got sensors on every door and window, including interior doors. I have 52 SmartPlugs with about 32 being used for Christmas lights right now. Add in cameras, Hue, and others, 400 isnā€™t such a reach.

Iā€™m at 399 right now with about 26 remaining on ST.

Can I ask if you see speed difference between ST and HE? 400 devices, you are my hero.

Overall the speed is much faster than SmartThings. Reliability, thatā€™s another story. I am seeing a lot of quirky behaviors, i.e. lost SimpleLighting rules not firing, a motion sensor that was solid on ST for 3.5 years dropping off every couple days, motion lighting rules that work 80% of the time, or SmartPlugs that fail to update on/off status when controlled using the Device Groups App.

Iā€™m having weird Zigbee issues altogether. My WiFi scanner isnā€™t showing any immediate overlaps to nearby WiFi. LQI is 255 and RSSI is -50 or lower for virtually all devices

I am testing a modified Iris SmartPlug driver. The Hubitat Generic Zigbee Plug driver configured the plug to never periodically report on/off status, nor does it configure them to periodically report power usage, even if it remains unchanged for a period of time. My driver ensures that on/off and power status reports are updated every 10 minutes. This way a lost message wonā€™t hurt for too long.

Iā€™m also seeing numerous SmartPlugs stop responding to commands, including a plug thatā€™s literacy 18ā€ from the hub. Not sure the cause yet, but itā€™s part of the fun of having a large system.

The joys of having a large system!

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

I'm very interested in your solutions as well. Please, write what you did to get everything working when you finished.

Happy New Year!

Hehe. 32 plugs worth of Christmas lights - you went all-in on the illuminations, then. My place has exactly two plugs worth, and one of them I've not bothered automating.

That being said... I'd need another 60-70 sensors just to do doors and windows - not entirely sure I can see enough merit in that for me to make it worth the effort.

Still, though... nice to know that the rabbit hole is as deep as one would like it to be :wink:

-- Jules

I despise battery powered decorations and extension cords. We have candles in every window and decorations in every room. Most rooms have 3-4 plugs just for Christmas. We do it up for the holidays and host several parties, which makes decorating a big thing for us.

Having sensors on doors and windows, even second floor, is helpful in the warmer months when we open windows. When rain is coming itā€™s useful to know which windows on which direction of the house are open so we know which ones to close.

1 Like

Hi everyone.
I am a newbie here and will be migrating over from SmartThings having ordered my UK Hubitat hub just a few days ago. I am based here in Birmingham UK.

STT has been a great introduction for me into the world of home automation but enough is enough now....the journey has been relatively painless thanks to STTs friendly interface and integrations and with CoRE and then webCoRE providing a very good platform to develop the use cases to automate.

But now I am at a crossroads, and have like many of you I am sure questioned the fundamental dependency of STT on cloud/ internet. I have moved the home broadband to Vodafone and have encountered a few outages which has annoyed us all.

Also more recently this decision has been highlighted even more by the recent poor firmware updates pushed by the STT team and the train crash of the SmartThings Connect app.
A member of the support team even suggested turning on OTA to ā€˜improveā€™ the STT motion sensors I have. Little did I know the device firmware ā€˜upgradesā€™ would involve so many replacement batteries.

So in summary my current platform includes
10 STT Outlets
1 STT Moisture sensor
23 STT Motion Sensors, 17x v1, 4x v2 and 2x v3
4 STT Multi sensors
3 STT Presence Sensors
6 LIFX Bulbs
3 Fibaro Door/Window Sensors
9 Fibaro Double Switch 2 FGS-223
1 Fibaro Double Switch FGS 222
6 Fibaro Single Switch 2 FGS-213
1 Fibaro Multi-sensor
1 Ring Doorbell Pro
2 Foscam FI9900Ps

I have adopted a mix of Smart Lighting SmartApps and webCoRE to automate many use cases.

I also use 45 Simulated Switches for various things like a simple switch to encapsulate multiple motion sensors in a room, encapsulating real switches to automate room modes, Cleaning, Movie, Guest, Vistors modes etc
Oh yes Alexa, Battery Monitor, Genius Hub, IFTTT, LIFX, Harmony, ring integrations as well.

I am rambling now but to conclude thanks to STT for the introduction to Home automation. It has been a good trip thus far but I am now gravitating away. Home Automation should be local, secure and safe and not totally dependent on the cloud.

I am awaiting my Hubitat hub to be delivered. Then I will remove a few of the various devices from STT and move across to the Hubitat to run some initial tests and automations.
I have been told to consider STT Outlets to start and help build the zigbee mesh as they act as repeaters.
Has anyone done this as well? Suggestions? Pointers? Advice based on my network of devices is always welcomed. What about firmware for the STT devices moving forward?

So thank you STT but saying hi to all the Hubitat communityā€¦

Happy New Year to you all

If you don't already have one, get either an Aeon Minimote (not made any more) or an Aeon Z-Stick ($40-45 ebay vs amazon)

There are so many threads here that begin "I am so frustrated with trying to join my..." and end with, "once it excluded, Hubitat inclusion was fast." -- The two Aeon devices are fantastic Excluders (sic) and you don't need to do anything to them out of the box. Exclusion is "universal" in the sense that all controllers can initiate an exclude against devices NOT on it's network!

I would say if you remove them from ST then your ST will work horrendous, I suggest moving them first and the rest of devices the faster you can. Make sure you exclude them in ST first then include them in HE.

I have 2x Aeon Minimote's, forgot those in my list of devices.
Can you explin Excluders more then and how they will be useful when I start to remove/exclude from STT and include into HU.

Given the number of powered zwave Fibaro switches and STT Outlets I have here, if I locate my HU Hub centrally and build out the devices based on physical distance from the Hub both the Zigbee and zwave meshes should build up without too many issues.

Any thoughts on coexisting STT and HU as I migrate bit by bit? Zigbee channels?

There's a variety of techniques used to migrate. As you disassemble your existing installation and add it to Hubitat, you'll probably remove a critical device from the old system. Devices that were using it as a router to the hub may find an alternate path, but it will take a short while for that to be detected and then cured within the mesh. In other words, if device K was using device B to get to SmartThings, and you migrate B, device K will be "lost" for a while til it finds a new path. If you've already migrated it's other choices, it will never find a way. Trying to then Exclude device K on ST might never work since K can't "hear" ST. (If it can, the exclude will be fine.)

At various times in the migration, you'll find a device that doesn't migrate smoothly. It won't JOIN to Hubitat. Inevitably this is perceived as a flaw with Hubitat, but what's usually occurring is that the actual device did not exclude. A hub doing the exclusion has two jobs, remove the device from the mesh and remove the device from it's internals. Often it just thinks the mesh remove went well.

The Aeon Minimote is portable, you can hold it a foot away from a device and put it into Exclude. Then you do the clicky biz on the actual device, per the manufacturers manual, and the Minimote will flicker and let you know visually that it excluded.

Zigbee has no exclude, so none of this advice applies.

Just recognize: if you're having trouble Joining a Zwave device, it's most likely to be an Exclude problem. The two Aeon products assist with that.

You CAN the join the Minimotes to your new Hubitat, but that step has nothing to do with the exclude. Leave your Minimotes joined to ST and using them to exclude will work just fine. The Minimote does NOT need to be a part of the Hubitat ZWave network. It does not need to be part of the ST ZWave network either :slight_smile: