Color animation app

Mine as set as such:

And this makes an abrupt transition, no slow fading transition.

1 Like

Download the holiday lighting app

Ah, an additional third-party app, gotcha. Not this Color animation app.

I use MSR for my rules engine and have had holiday lighting built out for a couple years (scheduling, colors, etc.) I didn't want to put the time into writing expressions to do live changes so the colors would shift and move across the house. The Hubitat Color Animation app gives me that and makes it still controllable by my existing rules in MSR (I simply duplicated my existing rules and changed the entities to turn on/off.

My issue is just the cross-fading. Right now they abruptly change colors, no gentle cross-fade. That's all I need to fix.

Yeah holiday lighting handles that as well. The fade in/out is really smooth. Smoother than the built in color animation app. You could load it up to test and see how you like it comparably. @mbishop is also a nice guy and good at taking feature requests or solving issues.

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words, but I suspect this is a device settings issue. My app -- and I presume the new one, though I haven't played with it yet -- just sends a color command and the device decides how to handle it.

FWIW, my bulbs all have a transition timing property, and I change them from the default (ASAP) to 1 second to get a smoother response to a new color / brightness.

While Holiday Lighting is likely to cover the most common use case, the Palette Scenes app is a closer equivalent to what's built in.

1 Like

Rebooting hasn't made the driver appear. I'll PM you the hub ID.

Guy

1 Like

It *finally” appeared for me. I went to the Hubitat docs to read about it, but it isn’t there. Is there any documentation available to read about how to use this?

Still a no-show for me, but maybe I'll get it in the next release lol

If it still doesn't show up, can you try rolling back a version to 2.3.5.146 or whatever the hub ran previously, and then updating again to 2.3.5.152?

I'm going to add an endpoint to force reloading/rebuilding apps and drivers list on demand in the next build.

2 Likes

You posted this in the “get help” section of the forum, so I have to ask, do you want help?

There is no way anyone can help if that’s all you’re willing to share here.

Consider posting screenshots of the errors you’re seeing.

2 Likes

Rolling back and reupdating fixes the problem. The activator device driver is there and I can create colour animations.

Guy

Right on! I have no pressing need for the app right now, so I probably will just wait for the next release. Others have previously confirmed a rollback-reupdate does the trick, so I'm confident that would totally work too.

That new endpoint sounds great - that will be a nice addition - thanks!!

1 Like

I loaded this up. Whilst the transitions aren't fades as I was hoping the overall outcome is better than with the new native Hubitat color changing app so I'm sticking with this one.

I'm using LIFX - I'll see if there's a setting within Hubitat config for this.

Update: there is and it's been set. Been so long since I set these up I forgot all about their configs.

Perhaps im being blind, but I am not seeing any fix to the error shown below. Was anyone able to figure out how to fix the error and use the app correctly?

If you just updated, I'd try waiting a few minutes, or maybe try a reboot (from Settings, as always) to see if that helps.

If not, I'd suggest the recommendation from this post:

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback. Rolling back and reinstalling worked!

3 Likes

Hello! I'm still experiencing what's described here (missing driver) after the update to 152. I did rollback to my previous version (138) and reupdated with no success.

As soon as I create a step in the animation and tey to save, it fails with that error:

Error: Device type 'Color Animation Activator' in namespace 'hubitat' not found

Any other fix I can try?

1 Like