Collective usage

Hi guys,

So I'm trying to restrict the usage of my son on his X Box to so many hours per day/per week. In an ideal world, I'd ask him to turn it off and go play outside. Realistically it's not that simple with work and all of the other parental things in life as we all know.

So for arguments sake if I wanted to restrict him to 2 hours per day or 14 hours per week, how do I go about creating this rule. I appreciate using a smart outlet which records power is the way to do it, however how do I calculate the duration of power being greater than X for a collective 2 hours per day assuming there may be multiple occurrences of power being greater than X.

So if it was one sitting, that would be easy to say if power was greater than X for duration of 2 hours then turn off outlet. However how do I add multiple durations if each sitting is for 30 mins for example :crossed_fingers:

Here are some examples in this thread: Is there a simple way to track how long something is turned on in a day?"

I swear I have seen an app for it also but I cannot seem to find it right now.

Found the app. not sure if it will 100% do what you want as I have not used it:

I'd suggest using a parental control app. The Microsoft one is ideal for the Xbox.

3 Likes

Yeah that would work better for sure. I use the Microsoft one to restrict PC time web sites and it works great. You can also easily give extra time if they ask for it. A smart plug they can easily bypass.

2 Likes

I second the use of a parental control app, but here is how I would handle this in RM....

A second rule is needed to reset the timer variable back to zero. I have a catch-all rule that runs every night around midnight to handle stuff like this.

Sure, they can. But my 11 year old son generally isn't trying to cheat the system... he just loses track of how much time he spends on his game. At least for now, a reminder is enough to get him to put it down and do something else.

4 Likes

Spot on. This works nicely fit me. Appreciated :+1:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.