[Code Review?] Tailwind Garage Door

Got a response from Scott R. As expected they did make some changes, it requires a token system now to address security concerns. He indicated this will be changing in future versions to a JSON-based approach.

1 Like

Document on local API as provided by Scott.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Y4CAscgn1FCmTAKg7YcLYHRRQPuNC6G0?usp=sharing

Thanks! Did you manage to make the changes yet? I may take a look this weekend, but for whatever reason, my tailwind still refuses to update.

Any update to this? I am holding off updating my firmware on the garage door until its working.

this is now updated to work with 9.95. For whatever reason, my Tailwind still won't update so I haven't been able to test.

1 Like

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I’ve been trying to get both device handlers to work. Currently using @derek.badge drivers, but after a week or so, the device becomes unresponsive and reports the following error in the log:

org.apache.http.conn.ConnectTimeoutException: Connect to x.x.x.x:80 [/x.x.x.x] failed: connect timed out on line 202 (method poll)

As an alternative, I tried using the SmarThings integration with Tailwind and pulling the devices into Hubitat via HubThings Replica. That didn’t work well as SmartThings took forever to change open/close state. Tailwind’s native HomeKit integration is rock solid and hasn’t given me issues. Just don’t like relying on Himekit for automations.

If any Tailwind users have advice on getting it running on Hubitat consistently, I’d love to hear it,

That error indicates a loss of connectivity between the hub and the device. I get that when I reboot either router on my VPN tunnel between two locations where I have tailwinds and the Hubitat. I just checked one that has been showing only errors for weeks (we only open the door very infrequently, back of the hay shed). It opened just fine responding to controls, despite nothing but errors in the logs ( from router reboots etc). I'm not sure about the unresponsive issue you have, but the other is almost certainly connectivity. I haven't played with homekit via Hubitat, but I do use it for Home Assistant with Tailwind and it works awesome there.

@derek.badge @chaue.shen I am using this driver with my 2 IQ3 controllers. I am trying to get lighting automation set up based on the door openings and closings. However, I have my polling set for every 30 minutes. Do I need to change polling to 1 minute to catch every opening and closing? For some reason when I trigger on the door opening, the lighting automation doesn't work but if I subsequently poll the door then it immediately works? What could the problem be? Shouldn't the door sensor trigger automatically? Thanks for your help.
I should mention that if I open through Hubitat, it works but if I open with a wall switch it does not. In that case, I need to poll the door and then it works.

Sounds like you have the right line of thinking there. 1-minute polling would lead to at most 60 seconds before it detects the door is opened and turns on the lights, not ideal for lighting. A way of doing it more frequently would be to set up a rule in the rule engine with a periodic trigger of X seconds that would poll the doors. Something along the lines of :

image.png

@derek.badge Thanks for your response. I'm assuming the only way anything gets reported is through polling, is that correct. Does it also apply to the contact sensor?
All I saw from your last post for a more frequent trigger was "image.png"