Cloud vs Local Backup

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a cloud backup also backs up the radio databases, but a local backup does not. So one can restore a cloud backup to a brand new hub and restore all devices but that cannot be done from a local backup.

Why? What is the reason that a local backup is somewhat crippled?

Cloud backups include data that is proprietary to SiLabs (the manufacturer of the z-wave chip). Local backups include all the data that is generated by the end user.

2 Likes

@JoeJ to add to what @aaiyar , look at it this way. Really between the major platforms Hubitat is really the only one that can do this... ST and Vera certainly can't...

1 Like

Hubitat has always supported local backups, with the exact same functionality that still exists today.

Through a lot of hard work on Hubitat's part, they have mastered the ability to fully back up and restore the entire hub, including the Zigbee (C7+) and Z-Wave (C5+) radios. This research and development was not free for Hubitat. It was also something customers requested quite often. As already mentioned, not many other platforms offer this ability. Hubitat chose to offer this new feature as a service of their cloud infrastructure, to ensure end-users' backup files are stored securely and safely. Hosting the Hubitat Cloud on AWS is not free. Thus, the Hubitat team has decided that a subscription model will help to recoup their development costs, as well as help to maintain the ongoing cost of the cloud services. It is also a more consistent stream of ongoing revenue to help keep the company financially sound.

I was one of the first users to buy a Hubitat C-3 hub back in Feb, 2018. Since that time, Hubitat has maintained all of the original functionality of the hub (except for the original, restricted, free SMS text messaging) AND has continuously improved the platform over the past 5 years. Almost all of the new functionality has been made available to the original C3/C4/C5 hubs, wherever the hardware is supportive. I'd have to say that it has been money very well spent, IMHO.

Hope this helps!

7 Likes

Vera can. In fact, it was a necessity on that platform.

Oh I thought Vera couldn't, my bad

The system would crash fairly frequently. Requiring restoration from backup.

1 Like

This implies they deliberately held back features from the local backups, when as far as I know, the opposite is true.

If I understand the statements made by staff over time (and it’s possible I don’t), there were technical hurdles that made zigbee/z-wave radio backups difficult or impossible to include in the hub backup process at first.

The solution they eventually came up with apparently relies on the cloud.

2 Likes