Cloud Connection is unavailable?

Does anyone know why my Cloud Connections would be unavailable as shown in the first picture?

As the second picture from my router shows, my hubitat is attached to my router (mac address is the same as on the hubitat), and the router has a live internet connection.

I've tried rebooting, shutdown, etc. to no avail.
Support says they cant help, because they can't get into the hubitat.

Does anyone have any suggestions why this should suddenly happen?

Did you recently reboot your router? Do you have a DHCP Reservation configured for your Hubitat Hub in your router? If the LAN IP address changes, the cloud connection can sometimes be impacted. Usually, rebooting the Hubitat Hub resolves this issue. To prevent it, most of us reserve an IP address in our DHCP server for the HE hub.

1 Like

Indeed, I have reserved 192.168.1.53, and that's what it shows.
I can get in that way, and I have local control. However, all devices that require the cloud are not working (eg myq garage door, etc.)

One point though I'd like to make:
This is a perfect example (s if we needed one) of one of the key benefits of the Hubitat platform - all my automations around lighting are all going to run without any issue! Local execution!

Just spitballing here, but you probably already checked no issues with firewall or DNS?
What DNS are you using Cloudflare, Google, ISP? Is the router dropping DNS requests it can’t resolve internally?

Someone posted yesterday they noticed their hub trying Google DNS constantly. Been noticing that a lot lately will all kinds of devices including Alexa enabled devices.

Also, might want to cover up the WAN IP a bit more, can see enough of the top and bottom of each octet to make it out, and maybe those MAC addresses too.

To me, that could be a giant clue. It's not just Hubitat, correct? You're getting out to be able to post here.. got Alexa or GH? Can you ask them things?

So on the one hand, nothing works, but you can... I think I need to buy one more clue. please. :smiley:

I have checked out the firewall.
Nothing unusual that I can spot - everything seems to be normal.

DNS - I'm just using the standard ones from the ISP (nothing fancy).

I meant to say that all devices on the Hubitat that require the cloud are not working.

I need a clue, also.
What's surprising is that I can't seem to find any router changes that may have precipitated this issue.

Devices like an Echo or Google Home, their connection inside of HE or just the devices themselves?

It could be a lot of things I suppose.

Can you get to portal.hubitat.com?

Mine just talked to 13.59.2.98 on port 8883, so I assume that is one of the cloud instances.

You could traceroute to that from a system on the same network as your hub as a small simple test.

Default Gateway??

It's part of DHCP so other things, as they renew their lease, would fall off too if that was wrong.

Last night I had a self induced HE cloud connection issue, I think I lost the connection partially. I pulled the power plug for about 25 minutes and it came back up fine.

A lot of things to check at this point, you could start with some basic network checks like ping, traceroute, nslookup.

@jtmpush18. Do you by chance use Linux, you could do a traceroute to that IP and port.

HE uses port 8883 for their cloud connection from HE to the HE cloud, so...

traceroute -T -p 8883 13.59.2.98
I think that’s right lol

Hello.
Thanks for the traceroute suggestion.
Please excuse my timidity, but I didn't want to ssh/putty into my Hubitat. So, right next to it, I have a RPI (that I use for google relay - thanks @ogiewon ). I did the traceroute from that device.
No Problem.
22 ec2-13-59-2-98.us-east-2.compute.amazonaws.com (13.59.2.98) 41.526 ms 34.155 ms 42.645 ms
Hmm.... something must be stopping my HE from getting to the HE cloud....

Not sure what that means, but ok :slightly_smiling_face:

Well the it’s good that that worked because it shows several things ARE working in general on your network.

If you go to portal.hubitat.com, your hub shows up on the page?

Just as a test, can you shut down your hub, pull the power cable for 30 mins and see if that fixes it?

What’s odd is that if your Pi can hit the HE cloud then your HE hub should too.

Thats a crappy suggestion!! :rofl:

5 Likes

This thread is going down the crapper... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Edit: Doh! Oops, I really need to avoid responding here on my phone when I am working. :rofl:

No it isn’t really, it was suggested by others in similar threads and I did the same thing the other day after I was having HE cloud connection issues linking the Alexa skill.

When @bobbyD answered by support ticket, he said I didn’t have a cloud connection. His response to me was:
It looks like your hub was no longer connected to the cloud and rebooting forced it to reconnect.

I know my hub was talking out on port 8883 to the HE cloud before this too, I was watching the traffic.

1 Like

Let’s hope the thread comes out ok on the other end though, the OP’s situation is a bit odd.

1 Like

One word... fiber. LOL

4 Likes

@corerootedxb SM or MM, SC or LC?

@jtmpush18 your not having other issues in general are you?

You were asked earlier if other non-HE devices can connect out fine, do you have an Alexa or Google Home device that works when you talk to it?

mine was showing similar symptoms this morning no cloud connection and zigbee off notification. The hub was also very slow to get into different hub pages but managed to get to the settings page and selected safe reboot .
Which appears to have fixed the problem.
not home now I had to remote into my home computer to do the reboot.

Thanks for thinking of me.

1. I am not having Internet connectivity issues on any other device. No problems.
  2. Last night I tried the easy approaches: I shutdown the hub (for at least 30 minutes). I rebooted my router. No change to HE lacking cloud connectivity.

Anybody have any other suggestions?