Cloud backup is incomplete

C7

I'm subscribed to Hub Protect and recently I'm getting this alert:

Cloud backup is incomplete.

Last cloud backup failed. Failed steps: Z-Wave.

Meanwhile, my zwave network became a bit unstable with long delays. Repairs result in multiple failures. These two things started at the same time.

This happened both before and after the latest update that includes matter but my hub is a c7 so it probably doesn't matter here.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

IIRC the cloud backups briefly stop and restart the Zwave radio to ensure that it gets a good backup of the radio database. Since the backup noted that it failed on the ZWave portion and subsequently you are experiencing issues with the Zwave mesh I would recommend a shutdown and removal of power from the hub (at the wall) for about 30-45 seconds. This should force a reload of the hub's cached Zwave information from the radio database.

Why you had an issue I'll leave for @gopher.ny or @bobbyD to look into as they may want to look at the engineering logs.

3 Likes

Please send me a private message along with your hub id so we can look for clues in your hub's engineering log, assuming it is connected to the cloud.

1 Like

Thanks for your message. We checked your hub's engineering log and the Z-Wave problems started as result of the cloud backup-up failure. Our engineers are aware of occasional backup failures that can lead to Z-Wave radio going offline. We do not have a solution at this point. The problem is now listed on Known Issues in Release 2.3.7.139 . If the backup fails again, you may want to power cycle the hub by shutting it down from Settings, then when the hub's LED turns red, unplug the hub for 30 seconds before plugging back in. Running a manual cloud backup is recommended following a cloud backup failure.

2 Likes

I'm having the same issue and PM'd my hub ID to bobbyD.

I had this same issue, C7 running 2.3.7.139. Would not complete a cloud backup, would error saying incomplete backup due to Zwave. I did a shutdown and then unplugged the power for 45 seconds. Reconnected power and once booted up ran cloud backup, finished successfully. Just upgraded to 2.3.7.140 and crossing my fingers.

The latest release doesn't have a fix. The problem with this issue is its inconsistency. You can run 100 manual backups and/or scheduled backups and they'll complete successfully, but the 101 fails (the number of successful backups failures varies).

Understood, was more saying crossing my fingers the Zwave delays stay away. Right now the hub watchdog tests are bouncing all over the place.

I’ve also disabled my automatic scheduled backups until this issue is finally resolved.

Thanks for fixing this!

In the new release notes it says

• If zigbee or z-wave steps of cloud backup fail, the backup is correctly marked as having no zigbee or z-wave component.

Does this mean the backup will fail silently? Or will it have a warning message?

From the posts I've seen there are messages in the main log (failed only) as well as hub event log events (both successful and failures)

1 Like

Hi @bobbyD I got another failure 2 days ago and my Z-wave network started to have issues since. Power cycling actually didn't help unfortunately. Is this something the team can take a look thank you!

Hi @bobbyD, I got the "Cloud backup" failure this morning. Currently running 2.3.7.144. As mentioned by others, Z-wave currently not working.

Please let me know if you need any data from my side to look into this.

Thanks,

My zwave network now goes down every couple days. Any tips to make this better? @bobbyD

+1, same on C8 2.3.8.120

I continue to get the failed cloud backups.

I unfortunately still gets it once in a while

We are actively investigating some edge cases that have not been resolved by the recent updates. Thank you for your patience and understanding while our engineers narrow down the root cause. At this time we do not have an estimated resolution timeframe.

4 Likes