Cloud backup failure causes Z-Wave radio to go offline

Z-wave radio crashing is an awful event for its connected device . Those with weaker connection may struggle for a while until the radio rebuilts better routes. If you want to see which devices are giving you trouble you can start a Z-Wave repair, then investigate any failures.

The advantage of the very concept of mesh network can be its biggest disadvantage when one or more nodes struggle.

1 Like

Just experienced the same. Triggered a cloud backup and Z-Wave is dead.

Is there a bug filed on this?

Yes, we are aware of this problem. If you'd like to help us narrow down the issue, you could join the beta group. The new beta release allows users to enable additional logging that would help our engineers resolve this problem.

Sure, shoot me the instructions.

@bcopeland - saw another post that says this might be related to cloud backups?

Should I disable cloud backups and observe?

I'm already doing local backups and storing them on my NAS.

2 Things. Are you having the issue? If so, go ahead and disable after making a final successful cloud backup.

Local backups do not back up the z-wave and zigbee radios. Only cloud backups do that but it certainly doesn't hurt to do a local backup as well.

I don't recommend disabling the cloud backups, as maybe one in 10 or more fails at random. If you've had more than one incident in the past 2-3 months, then you may want to maybe reduce the backup frequency while we get to the bottom of this issue.

1 Like

No problem... I don't mind reducing the frequency since I'm also backing up locally. I actually don't even see any cloud backup (or local) failures listed.

I am having this problem too. I have been for some time. The only fix seems to be the gracefully shut down and unplug for a minute. I have been having it for some time. Until I read this thread I didn’t connect the cloud backup problem with the zwave mesh shutdown.

I have registered for beta. Now what?

LJ

Sending you a PM with how you can enable additional logging so you can help us narrow down the issue.

Cloud backup failure again last night and all my zwave stopped working. It gets worse. I have a "Home Activity Monitor" routine that will notify (SMS) my kids if there has been no movement in my home for 8+ hours even though people were at home. It fired at 7AM this morning. The kids were first concerned followed by not too impressed when they learned this was all caused because a backup failed. Not cool :rage:

I changed my daily cloud backup to weekly during the daytime hours. At least if it fails I'll likely catch it pretty quick.

Is there no way to receive a message when such backup fails? If not, there should be.

You can set a message to notify z-wave radio is off line... I use hub information to do it. Just swap zigbee for z-wave

If you could join the beta so you can enable additional logging, that would help us a lot to narrow down the problem and hopefully get this resolved ASAP.

2 Likes

All your motion detectors are Z-Wave?

zwaveCrashed is a location event. You don't need the Hub Info app.

I have a rule that, in the event of a z-wave crash, shuts down the hub and kicks off a rule in my spare C-7 hub to power cycle the main hub via a ZEN16 powering the main hub.

Plus, the main hub sends out Pushover and Ecolink chime siren notifications when z-wave crashes. That alone could be helpful.

No my motion sensors are Hue but my bathroom door contact is zwave. I know that door was opened/closed at least twice between 10PM and 6AM. When I setup my Home Activity Monitor I took into account one device may fail and trigger a false positive. I put a zwave contact sensor on the door and a hue sensor on top of the bathroom cabinet. Not only did zwave go down the damn hue has not been responding since the end of Aug. :rage:

As for using Location Event I noticed my log showed zwave crash at 7:32 AM today but I know it was down way before that time. I was up at 6:20 this morning trying to figure out why most of my lights would not come on when doors opened/switches were triggered.

That is correct. The best we can tell, in absence of any logs to confirm it, the crash report comes hours after the backup failed, which appears to take down Z-Wave. It could be the other way around (Z-Wave causing the backup to fail). That is why it's critical to get those additional logs from at least one hub. We've been fishing, but didn't catch anything yet.

It takes a couple hours I think before it registers.

I'm in. Joining now

2 Likes