Cloud backup failure causes Z-Wave radio to go offline

Anyone with Z-Wave radio offline after backup, please consider joining the beta program:

2 Likes

If you join the beta, as Bcopeland suggests, you may find your cloud backup issue solved (my C7 cloud backup issue is resolved on the 2.3.8.xxx beta), and if you are still having issues on the beta additional information gathered there will help HE find a final fix. :slight_smile: Win/win.

2 Likes

I am part of the beta group. I will give my response there. Thanks

3 Likes

thanks but the hub that is having the both zigbee and zwave offline after a backup is in a remote house and i feel too risky to put on a beta program since i am not there.. let me know if there is anything else i can chime in..

Does the new firmware 2.3.8.117 fix this problem? No obvious mention of it doing so in the release notes.

Yes, we believe that updating the SDK has solved this issue. The feedback we received during beta has been promising, so we hope this issue is resolved :

3 Likes

:crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Adding to this thread. I upgraded to the C8 from C7 in December hoping this problem would go away but I have had to power cycle my hub three times over the last four weeks due to this issue. I do use cloud backup and I have 51 zwave devices connected that all stop working when this failure shows its ugly head. I saw something in the thread that suggested decreasing the frequency of the online backup. How frequently do I need to be making backups provided I don't make any changes? I did install 2.3.8.117 this morning but didn't see anything in the notes about this getting fixed.

Now that you're on 2.3.8.117, you should be sorted on the scheduled cloud backup issue.

If you want to test "now" simply change your backup schedule to 10m in the future and let it run, and see how things go. You should be OK.

Here's to hoping that's true. I am curious though, how does updating the SDK help with a bug in the software?

There was a couple of major changes both fixed different problems that had the same symptom.

1. SDK (Software component provided by SiLabs) was updated, and this had major changes to backup/restore on 800 series Z-Wave.

2. Send queues were paused while backup runs. Some backups were failing when a packet got sent during backup.

5 Likes

Much better that the explanation I was going to post, as it mostly relied on magic beans and fairy dust. :wink:

4 Likes

Thank you, that make perfect sense.

2 Likes

I just did the .119 update and then had my hub auto update about 45 minutes later and again got the red alert that the z wave radio has failed and to shut the hub down and restart. Still have this issue with my C-8. Is this a problem for the new C-8 Pro also? Thinking about upgrading.

I did this yesterday on my C8, and this morning I woke up to a dead zwave network. I haven’t had this issue in many, many months.

And after the usual shutdown / power up sequence, I then had to reboot my c8 as I was seeing severe load warnings that wouldn’t go away.

Looks like Bryan will need to look into this again.

Will help, @legends08 and @dJOS, if you PM your affected hub's UID to Bryan (@bcopeland) pointing back to your posts here so he can check your hub enigneering logs when the week starts (Monday may be a holiday for them).

1 Like

Roger that. I’ll send them to him.

1 Like

Same boat here. Ran without issue on .117 but had the failure overnight after upgrading to .119.

It would be good if hubitat support could let us know if this is an acknowledged problem with this version or not. Might save some people from an unnecessary headache instead of letting us all be beta testers.

They are aware and investigating. You can help if you PM your hub ID (Settings>Hub Details) with a note on the issue you experienced to @bcopeland so he can access your engineering logs as part of his investigation.