Cloud access not working

I am using a C7 hub and I use Alexa skill to manage devices with voice.
It was working fine until today.
Today I realized that voice commands related to Hubitat devices are not working.
Then I checked on the Hubitat settings and see a warning like "cloud not accessible"
now this warning is gone, but I still can not use the alexa skill.

For troubleshooting, I disabled the skill from Alexa side. Now I try to reenable. After logging in with my Hubitat login, it displays the hub "named Home" so it can get the hub information from Hubitat cloud. But then when I select it, skill says "linking unsuccessful"

What is the problem ? How can I fix this ?

thanks

1 Like

I see the warning again now,
it says "Cloud connection is unavailable." on Hubitat UI.

Same here. I have a C5 (running 2.3.9.160) at one location and this is saying "No response from hub" however at the other location my C8 (2.3.9.153) is working fine. The C8 is running 2.3.9.153 because I don't trust upgrading my hubs remotely unless I am at a given location for a few weeks.

it now works. I don't know how it got fixed. No one from Hubitat staff commented on this.

in my experience there seems to be an unaddressed bug on some hubs when router reboots it loses cloud .. rebooting the hub fixes it.

Tested it again before rebooting and it was not working. Rebooted hub and it is now working. Yes, yesterday I did have a power outage long enough for all UPS to run out of power and the router did shout down. The hub was not on the UPS but the router was. Anyway problem solved. Thank you.

Today I have the same problem again.
I really don't understand. This platform was working fine for a long time. I have never seen such issue before. Now same problem happens 2 times in almost a week.
What's going on Hubitat support ?

Is there even any Hubitat support ?

2 Likes

I am seeing the same thing with my new C8. Now and then, the connection is lost. I was thinking it had something to do with my ISP. To troubleshoot, I pinged "cloud.hubitat.com" from my laptop on the same wireless network, and it was successful. Pinging the same address from the hub fails, so it is NOT the ISP. I can also concur that a reboot does not fix the problem. It just corrects itself after a minute or two. Very concerning.

-peter-

1 Like

You could have a problem with domain name resolution.

Is your hub configured to use DHCP or a static IP?

1 Like

thank you , for proving its not only me.
Most of the time it is really very difficult to make people here believe that there is a problem on Hubitat side. :frowning:

1 Like

I have no other internet issues at home. Everything works fine.
Alexa, Smartthings, Philips Hue, Amazon Ring, Siemens Home devices, Mi Home, Roborock, Foscam cameras, Yale Home - each one of these are separate clouds and I frequently use them while I am not at home.

Apart from these we are 3 people at home with phone, PC and tablets. We did not have a single DNS issue for a very long time.

My Hub is receiving static IP from router (DHCP reserved IP).

Static IP usually has a specific meaning in IP networking.

Did you configure static IP settings on the hub’s network configuration page and set a DHCP reservation? That could cause a DNS problem for the hub (your other devices at home would be unaffected so that’s not relevant).

Or did you mean that you configured the hub to have a fixed, non-changing IP by using dhcp reservation only?

2 Likes

I did not configure static IP setting on hub's network configuration page.
I left it there to get dynamic IP address from DHCP and I made a static IP setting (reservation) on my router.

Thanks for confirming.

Sounds like a head scratcher. It can be difficult to troubleshoot a cloud access issue that’s intermittent without clear steps to replicate.

1 Like

What is important to note (in my instance) is that while the Hub shows that the cloud connection is unavailable - my laptop on the same wi-fi network is successfully able to ping "cloud.hubitat.com" Pinging the same address from the Hub network test page fails. My C8 is configured to use Wireless; here are the settings.

Any other thoughts or ideas are welcome! Thanks!

-peter-

I agree.
First step is to accept that there is a problem. And it is a new problem. (was not happening 3 weeks ago for example)

My issue has been happening since initial setup about 2 weeks ago. Interesting to note is that when I initially configured the device for Ethernet, I did not notice this issue. It only seems to have appeared when I switched the config to Wi-Fi.

For what it's worth, the reason I switched from Ethernet to Wi-Fi was due to the fact that HE discovery of my Konnected boards was failing with HE connected via Ethernet. Discovery works fine on Wi-Fi.

-peter-

my issue started after I returned from vacation last week. So to be safe, I can say it started 2 or 3 weeks ago. (While on vacation I did not need to check, so I noticed last week)
I am not using wifi.

Do you still have Ethernet access active?
Having both ethernet and wifi access active is known to cause issues for some people.

1 Like

Thanks for that idea. I do not have an ethernet cable connected to the HE port, is there a way to actually DISABLE the ethernet port on HE 8? I am not seeing it in the settings.

Thanks,

-peter-